Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

They can spell Drones, but it appears 'Infantry' is not high on the spellcheck list!
Red-faced Army chiefs hurriedly removed a new sign outside a barracks after a glaring spelling mistake was spotted.
The sign was unveiled after soldiers from 51st Infantry Brigade moved into their new HQ at Redford Barracks, Edinburgh.
But then a commander realised that 'Infantry' had been spelled 'Infantary'.

They can spell Drones, but it appears 'Infantry' is not high on the spellcheck list!
Red-faced Army chiefs hurriedly removed a new sign outside a barracks after a glaring spelling mistake was spotted.
The sign was unveiled after soldiers from 51st Infantry Brigade moved into their new HQ at Redford Barracks, Edinburgh.
Would that be the Redford Barracks that was due to be sold in 2024 or thereabouts ?

TamH70

MIA
Would that be the Redford Barracks that was due to be sold in 2024 or thereabouts ?

There are Redford Infantry Barracks and Redford Cavalry Barracks. I've spent time in both. I'm not sure if either or both of them are up for sale - the land would seem to me to be quite expensive.

NemoIII

War Hero
There are Redford Infantry Barracks and Redford Cavalry Barracks. I've spent time in both. I'm not sure if either or both of them are up for sale - the land would seem to me to be quite expensive.

Isn't it Dreghorn Infantry Barracks and Redford Cavalry barracks. Dreghorn is staying, possibly with 2 Scots moving in when 3 Rifles move to Catterick.

Rather thought the plan was to retrench on Dreghorn Barracks and sell off the Redford complex after all the quarters have long been sold. Cracking site in pricey Colinton for some very nice flatted developments and the Officers mess would be a lovely site to have. As the story goes and I was told it when I was first posted there in the 70s was the plan for the barracks was meant for India but inadvertently ended up in Edinburgh.

Isn't it Dreghorn Infantry Barracks and Redford Cavalry barracks. Dreghorn is staying, possibly with 2 Scots moving in when 3 Rifles move to Catterick.
Aren't 2 Scots in Penicuik at the old SID Glencorse barracks or the once 9th Royal Scots barracks. Another cracking old barracks and once a POW Camp for Napoleonic detainees!

No, Redford Barracks had 2 original barrack blocks on site. As you look in from the front gate the left hand side is the Cavalry Barracks and the right hand side is the Infantry Barracks .

They're 19th Century built and the story goes that the plans for an Imperial Army Barracks in India was provided to the builders in error...

The Cavalry Barracks side is home to the British military bands during the Tattoo and is a right maze

On the sale plans. I believe both 19th century blocks are listed so tricky to remove and bloody tricky to convert

TamH70

MIA

Mmnope. Redford Infantry Barracks definitely exists.

It's on the same campus as Redford Cavalry Barracks, and you're right, there is a Dreghorn Barracks as well, but that's not on the same site - it's a bit aways from Redford.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The problem with crayon is that it's really difficult to wash off.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer

We changed from DPM to MTP so long ago, that even the RNR have managed to get hold of it (and then be told to stop wearing it, wear RNPCS instead, which no bugger will issue us, but that's a different rant).

And yet the Mail still uses decade-plus old stock photos...

Harrumph, I say! Harrumph!

We changed from DPM to MTP so long ago, that even the RNR have managed to get hold of it (and then be told to stop wearing it, wear RNPCS instead, which no bugger will issue us, but that's a different rant).

And yet the Mail still uses decade-plus old stock photos...

Harrumph, I say! Harrumph!

At least they got the right army

1618596026900.png

They're 19th Century built and the story goes that the plans for an Imperial Army Barracks in India was provided to the builders in error...
I am sure that is just an urban army myth. I have heard it so often.The first time about the barracks at Ballater in Scotland. A former British Army barracks in the Republic of Ireland and several others of Victorian heritage. Also that Dieppe and Kangaw barracks built in Singapore in the sixties for 40 and 42 Commando RM were originally designed for Aden but the plan's were mixed up.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
I am sure that is just an urban army myth. I have heard it so often.The first time about the baaracks at Ballater in Scotland. A former British Army barracks in the Republic of Ireland and several others of Victorian heritage. Also that Dieppe and Kangaw barracks built in Singapore in the sixties for 40 and 42 Commando RM were originally designed for Aden but the plan's were mixed up.

The Cavalry Barracks' architecture supports the Indian connection. It's far too light and airy for something that was supposed to survive bleak as **** Scottish springs, summers, autumns and winters, especially on the East Coast. It could be an urban myth, as you say, but my gut tells me it's gen.