Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

FEASG

LE
Well I’d expect the next expeditionary adventure would occur shortly after the next labour government takes office.
Sooner if the Army got its way, I was talking to a friend, who works at Northwood recently (Of the light Blue type) He was telling me that the FCO are always telling them to slowdown, and that reminding them that they haven't actually been asked to do anything yet. regarding the myriad of situations , that they have been asked to plan contingency's for. Use it or lose it is a deep set mantra, whether or not anyone actually admits , they ever said it.

Last edited:
Use it or lose it is a deep set mantra, weather or not anyone actually admits , they ever said it.
I'm pretty sure Saint Richard of Dannatt has freely admitted to believing in the mantra, and acting upon it, during his time in office.

And Lo! It was used. In a losing campaign, and then - verily - we did lose it.

There's a lesson to be learned, I think, but I'm guessing nobody is keen to learn it, not least because Op tours = golden OJAR opportunities.

Sooner if the Army got its way, I was talking to a friend, who works at Northwood recently (Of the light Blue type) He was telling me that the FCO are always telling them to slowdown, and that reminding them that they haven't actually been asked to do anything yet. regarding the myriad of situations , that they have been asked to plan contingency's for. Use it or lose it is a deep set mantra, whether or not anyone actually admits , they ever said it.
Fail to prepare prepare to fail

bob231

War Hero
ASW?
and back to your favourite old saw. How much extra spending did the Review put into ASW?
We are already quite good at ASW, while it remains unfashionable to say so. And regardless of what you think of Merlin, it does the job.

Also, on a more sensible note, confirmation of 8x T26 means that the review is already committing to a large ASW spend without needing extra.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
What about an Improved Kilo, or even better, a Lada-class sub?

In terms of "stolen by terrorists in order to..."?

Problem one: newer, more capable, highly valued by the owners and needed for divers existing tasking, so - unlike raiding a scrapyard or the "reserve fleet" (i.e. the stuff waiting for space at the scrappies) - you've got to steal a valued unit in operational use (if it's "easier to steal" because it's unmanned in dry dock, you've got to restore it to seagoing condition and get it out of dock, and so on)

Problem two - newer, more sophisticated, more capable, therefore even more difficult to find a skilled crew for that's competent on the equipment aboard.

As a problem in the hands of the rightful owners? Yes, definitely something to pay attention to, but that's a different set of issues - I was being more specific about the "bad people acquire a third-hand submarine and cause mayhem" storyline.

But if your rotary wing assets are being cut, with some unknown replacement in the future coming down the road. Won't another light infantry formation just compete with all the other light infantry formations and the rest of your Army for lift capabilities? Ditto with the C-130's being mothballed as well.
If they are helicopters call them fcuking helicopters.

I knew what you meant, IIRC 26 Gurkha Bde merged with 51 Bde in the UK to become 51 Gurkha Inf Bde so there was actually four Gurkha Bdes in the ‘60s
After the abandonment of ‘East of Suez’ in the 1966 White Paper and the drawdown of the Bde of Gurkhas all that was left was 48 Gurkha Bde in HK, which as you stated, became Gurkha Field Force after the ‘Wide Horizon’ reorg and then back to 48 Gurkha Bde in ‘82-84.
It was still Gurkha Fd Force in mid '83.

E2A: as @par avion has pointed out I now realise.

LD17

MIA
Hey, isn’t the Strike Bde supposed to be motoring, undetected, across Europe about now to appear in the Ukraine to thwart Vlad’s current intentions? Guess someone has to rewrite the Command Paper.....

Latest Threads