Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Interesting read in the ST today that shows earlier fears about the Cummings influence maybe just true. The CCF sized operation we will now have looks concerning (not sure what rank Johnson held in the CCF).

Defence chiefs have drawn up plans to slash the army by a quarter and reduce the Royal Marines to a bit part as part of Boris Johnson’s defence and security review.​
The drastic cuts, which would also close airfields and take helicopters out of service, were drawn up in response to Treasury demands that Whitehall departments map out cuts of 5% or more as part of the government’s comprehensive spending review.​
In the worst-case scenario:​
• Army manpower would fall from 74,000 to 55,000​
• The Royal Marines commando brigade would be disbanded, losing its artillery, engineers and landing craft. Royal Navy minesweepers would also face the axe​
• The RAF would shut several airbases and shed its fleet of Hercules transport planes and small Puma helicopters.​

Jesus. That's heading towards a Netherlands - sized force.
The world is getting more dangerous and we are disarming.

Hmm.. one can't help wondering if this, along with the disastrous drop in Police numbers over the last decade or so, is going to do the job BLM, Antifa, XR & sundry anarchist/lefty groups have been hoping for all along. Basically open our country up for a revolution akin to 1917 in Russia, where we have no state forces capable of stopping it!!
What works in the authorities favour here in the UK is the widespread lack of firearms and ammunition and the knowledge of how to use them.

How do the ARRSE I :heart: Boris faction feel about this?

I'm all for turning our backs on foreign adventures, but not being able to meet simple national defence needs or to uphold our end in NATO?

The AR figures aren't too bad.
The “Reserve” figures in all entirety are positive, filling many posts that the regular services have neglected.

Chimp

ADC

I'm all for turning our backs on foreign adventures, but not being able to meet simple national defence needs or to uphold our end in NATO?
We’re saved:
1593959082449.jpeg

If we turn it into a pure defence force, give it great kit, well trained and looked after - why not.

However, it'll be a platoon of twats with pickhelves to protect everything.

Have they not thought of the knock on effects, this will hit a lot of suppliers and contractors hard, and then there is the devastation this will cause to the fashion industry, the drop in sales of stockings and little black dresses will hit the economy hard

itchy300

Old-Salt
By the time you bin the non-deployable biffs, the obsolete trades, motorcycle display teams, bands, AT/sailing instructors etc... and all the ceremonial nonsense you're probably about there anyway

As mentioned, the deployable strength is already at that figure or even lower. Aren't the Pumas mostly shagged out and at end-of-hours anyway? The Hercs used up most of their remaining hours flying between here and Afghanistan, but what is supposed to replace them -- the Airbusses? There will be more needed, unless we decide to never leave the UK, which is an option. There is no longer much of an ability to operate independently of the US in anything large-scale, to which the correct response is that we will only ever deploy with NATO so why not make the US do the heavy work? It will be interesting to see how long that is accepted by the US.

By the time you bin the non-deployable biffs, the obsolete trades, motorcycle display teams, bands, AT/sailing instructors etc... and all the ceremonial nonsense you're probably about there anyway
At the same time gaining a tiny, low-status, undeployable army lacking in variety, trade and travel opportunities or career prospects that absolutely nobody wants to join.

Someone mentioned police figures which provoked the thought ... Currently circa 50% of the police are civilian staff (figures vary) the MoD has been moving that way for a while (Challengers get driven to the ranges by civilian staff) I can imagine a deepening of this trend.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Someone mentioned police figures which provoked the thought ... Currently circa 50% of the police are civilian staff (figures vary) the MoD has been moving that way for a while (Challengers get driven to the ranges by civilian staff) I can imagine a deepening of this trend.
Unless I'm mistaken the idea to "Civilianize" (Privatise) such roles in the Forces was born in 1994 under the Front Line First Defence Budget Cuts.

No longer the party of strong defence and law and order.

I’ve always thought that ceremonial duties could be a MPGS/FTRS type thing. Ex soldiers or those at the end of their time doing it with no operational role.

Send the Guards to the remaining generic No 1 to No ?? Inf Bns.