Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Strong drink and cheap strippers would be better... :-D
East-central Europe has plenty of those. We should procure locally, save on logistics.

Casualties?

You can sort of see it, can't you? UK PLC, 'What ho chaps! I say! Would you like a nice Tac Bty with four FSTs and a JTAC and JTAC(I) to co-ordinate your joint fires?' Estonians, 'Where are your guns?' UK PLC, 'What guns? Anyway, how about a nice influence campaign in Tallinn?' Estonians, 'Get tae fcuk! No guns, no influence.'

You can sort of see it, can't you? UK PLC, 'What ho chaps! I say! Would you like a nice Tac Bty with four FSTs and a JTAC and JTAC(I) to co-ordinate your joint fires?' Estonians, 'Where are your guns?' UK PLC, 'What guns? Anyway, how about a nice influence campaign in Tallinn?' Estonians, 'Get tae fcuk! No guns, no influence.'
Best euphemism for piss up so far this year!

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The game changer is that the Government have decided that they'll commit any asset other than heavy armour, the latter being a game that they have wished to get out of for years.
Just because they want out doesn't mean it isn't needed.

It's unfortunate that hardware costs money. It's unfortunate that while they want out the rest of the world is being awkward by continuing to deem it essential.

We acknowledge that with our aerial and naval assets. We acknowledge that (okay T31, excepted...) you buy top-flight or you just don't bother because there's no point. We're buying, for instance, Wedgetail because the state and capabilities of the still-flying bits of our Sentry fleet will make it suicidal to venture into some theatres. We're getting the P-8 because only it or the P-1 are up to the task. We're getting F-35 because we need a Day One capability.

Then, where the army's concerned, we put out up-beat press releases about £10 and £100 drones and the 'future'. Javelin dismounts are fine, never mind airburst.

Meanwhile, other countries crack on with meaningful, coherent equipment plots involving lots of ton(ne)s of metal, bloody big guns and ammunition natures that go through Osprey, flesh and bone like they aren't even there.

But, hey, SF. Hey, we're network-centric.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
it’s just not credible heavy armour.
Which means no credible land contribution when the bigger boys come out to play. And, as countless operations have shown since Douhet wrote his unfortunate paper, wars are won on the ground.
(Although they can be lost in air or at sea).

Edited to sort punctuation.

Last edited:
Which means no credible land contribution when the bigger boys come out to play. And, as countless operations have shown since Douhet wrote his unfortunate paper, wars are won on the ground.
Although they can be lost in air or at sea).
Well the way the army is going it will be going home.

Latest Threads