Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Cyberhacker

War Hero
If the recent reports in The Times are correct, I would be devastated, as a warmed over 8x8 with a MG is not in the same league as a fully modernised IFV. Seeing the justifications coming out for the potential deletion of this capability is frustrating.
Compare and contrast... over the recent years, the US Army has increased the number of active Armored Brigade Combat Teams (9 to 11), while decreasing the number of [8x8] Stryker Brigade Combat Teams (8 to 7), and (Light) Infantry Brigade Combat Teams (6 to 5, plus the 8 airborne/air-assault BCTs).

Furthermore, the European based SBCTs has been uparmored with the addition of 30mm cannons.

OK, the SBCT reduction was offset by a Guard Infantry brigade re-equiping with the hand-me-downs...

The UK strategy seems consistent with the US's 2013 reductions... but they've learned their mistake since!

The UK strategy seems consistent with the US's 2013 reductions... but they've learned their mistake since!

Learning from the mistakes of others; that's hardly very British!

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
When is this review going to be published? can constantly being kicked down the road? or is this to be co-ordinated with the announcement of the new CDS?
Just slipped from 8 Mar to 15 Mar.

Just slipped from 8 Mar to 15 Mar.

Fingers crossed 32 reft RA becomes something useful

A regiment toting around mini UAVs that could be deployed by the recce platoon or indeed Coy HQ of every regiment in the Army - strikes me as a waste of manpower.

Re role it (best - ) or disband and if required provide a small uplift in other formations to provide operators - saving a lot of bodies in HQ and support roles )

Cyberhacker

War Hero
A regiment toting around mini UAVs that could be deployed by the recce platoon or indeed Coy HQ of every regiment in the Army - strikes me as a waste of manpower.
You almost have to feel for 32... given jobs that really ought to be done by someone else

Striker/Swingfire - eventually passed back to the line regiments...
Now SUAS - surely likewise?

It’s about Royal worried they’ll lose their tied General position, and their 1*s will no longer just be able to do hoofing stuff and instead actually have to do some broader work.