Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
In my experience passed over Lt Cdrs are (for reasons I don't entirely understand) a very different and much more useful animal than passed over Majors.
Because, for many of us, it was a choice. We were never going to command a ship so Why go through the stress of promotion jobs when you could do something interesting. I became the RN expert on Information Assurance which set me up very nicely on leaving.

ETA: there was also (possibly still is) a German infantry regiment which had 'Gibraltar' as a battle honour!!

Not sure what their modern antecedents are.

'On 16th June 1779, the Spanish issued what was in effect a declaration of war against Great Britain. News of the outbreak of hostilities between Britain and Spain reached the Spanish governor at San Roque, the nearest town to Gibraltar, Lieutenant General Don Joaquin Mendoza, in mid June 1779 and subsequently reached Gibraltar.

'General Eliott put his garrison on a war footing and assembled a council of war. Mr Logie, the British consul in Tangier, returned from Gibraltar to his post in Morocco, to organise the regular provision of supplies for the garrison.

'The military garrison in Gibraltar comprised the British 12th Regiment, 39th Regiment, 56th Regiment, 58th Regiment and the 72nd ‘Royal Manchester Volunteers’; Hanoverian Regiments, Hardenburg’s (later Sydow’s), De La Motte’s and Reden’s; a Brigade of Marines, the Soldier Artificer Company and five companies of Royal Artillery. The total number of the garrison was 5,382 men.'

Because, for many of us, it was a choice. We were never going to command a ship so Why go through the stress of promotion jobs when you could do something interesting. I became the RN expert on Information Assurance which set me up very nicely on leaving.
Were you one of the 6 in the IT branch before it folded?

rabfan

Old-Salt
Old men reminiscing. I’m all in favour of a bonfire of the vanities. A quite decent suggestion of a few years ago was to reorganise the infantry into large regiments which represented the heritage of the British infantry along the lines of:

the rifles ‘as is’
The grenadiers
The fusiliers
The parachute regiment

cunningly proposed that the fusiliers would have an English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish battalion.
I believe there was a last minute proposal made by the then new RWF Colonel of the Regiment to do the very same thing, a British Regiment of Fusiliers. However, with the SCOTS amalgamations too far along, and with the RWF/RRW merger almost a done deal, the opportunity to form a Regiment of a similar scale to the RIFLES was sadly lost.

LD17

Old-Salt
Not sure what their modern antecedents are.

'On 16th June 1779, the Spanish issued what was in effect a declaration of war against Great Britain. News of the outbreak of hostilities between Britain and Spain reached the Spanish governor at San Roque, the nearest town to Gibraltar, Lieutenant General Don Joaquin Mendoza, in mid June 1779 and subsequently reached Gibraltar.

'General Eliott put his garrison on a war footing and assembled a council of war. Mr Logie, the British consul in Tangier, returned from Gibraltar to his post in Morocco, to organise the regular provision of supplies for the garrison.

'The military garrison in Gibraltar comprised the British 12th Regiment, 39th Regiment, 56th Regiment, 58th Regiment and the 72nd ‘Royal Manchester Volunteers’; Hanoverian Regiments, Hardenburg’s (later Sydow’s), De La Motte’s and Reden’s; a Brigade of Marines, the Soldier Artificer Company and five companies of Royal Artillery. The total number of the garrison was 5,382 men.'

@Berlin_104s
The Hanoverian Regiments are here:

Last edited:

The British army is already the smallest it's been in 400 years. And it's about to get even smaller.
A cut in the number of troops is expected in a defence review, due to be published next month.
Options include losing up to 10,000 soldiers from the regular Army's notional strength of 82,000 in order to help fund its modernisation.

The British army is already the smallest it's been in 400 years. And it's about to get even smaller.
A cut in the number of troops is expected in a defence review, due to be published next month.
Options include losing up to 10,000 soldiers from the regular Army's notional strength of 82,000 in order to help fund its modernisation.
Come on, pay me to leave!!!!

FEASG

LE
I believe there was a last minute proposal made by the then new RWF Colonel of the Regiment to do the very same thing, a British Regiment of Fusiliers. However, with the SCOTS amalgamations too far along, and with the RWF/RRW merger almost a done deal, the opportunity to form a Regiment of a similar scale to the RIFLES was sadly lost.
But this still smacks of fantasy Football (cap badges). The Army needs to look at itself as a whole and ask what do we need to do, can we achieve it. Not just faff around with golden thread rubbish and over bloated HQ's that slow down battle procedure, to maintain the MS system.

Time and time again we hear of incidents where multiple people have authority, but none have responsibility so no accountability. There are endless books written about the jokes (Un Funny ones) that were HERRIC/TELIC. With the same Ignore, Followed by snide attacks of the authors (rather than the ideas that they express).

So Round and Round we go and it gets hard to work out if this is about, this years new cap badges or the 2006 ones , or the 1998 efforts. The forces (But army in particular) need to descend from its collective colon and get used to the sun light.

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Bur this still smacks of fantasy Football (cap badges). The Army needs to look at itself as a whole and ask what do we need to do, can we achieve it. Not just faff around with golden thread rubbish and over bloated HQ's that slow down battle procedure, to maintain the MS system.

Time and time again we hear of incidents where multiple people have authority, but none have responsibility so no accountability. There are endless books written about the jokes (Un Funny ones) that were HERRIC/TELIC. With the same Ignore, Followed by snide attacks of the authors (rather than the ideas that they express).

So Round and Round we go and it gets hard to work out if this is about, this years new cap badges or the 2006 , or, ones before that. The forces (But army in particular) need to descend from its collective colon and get used to the sun light.
Sorry - did you just say "Worry less about providing career progression and job security for senior officers and more about being a coherent fighting force"...?

If only we went to a single Infantry Cap Badge and single Armoured Cap Badge, we could both dispense with the bickering about whose Great Grandfathers were the best, and dispense with those empty headed bell ends who think marching around is a good way to optimise our operational effectiveness.

A cut to 70,000 ish liability wouldn't be a disaster, but that would need to be a funded and equipped 70,000, not the hollowed out mess we are now.

And for the love of god, don't wither the Army to spunk all of our money on ships we will never use or obsolete planes.

rabfan

Old-Salt
Bur this still smacks of fantasy Football (cap badges). The Army needs to look at itself as a whole and ask what do we need to do, can we achieve it. Not just faff around with golden thread rubbish and over bloated HQ's that slow down battle procedure, to maintain the MS system.

So Round and Round we go and it gets hard to work out if this is about, this years new cap badges or the 2006 , or, ones before that. The forces (But army in particular) need to descend from its collective colon and get used to the sun light.
No argument from me at all on the above. I'm pretty ambivalent about the cap badge I'd wear on operations, as long as I know that I'm well trained, well equipped and fairly paid. If the recent reports in The Times are correct, I would be devastated, as a warmed over 8x8 with a MG is not in the same league as a fully modernised IFV. Seeing the justifications coming out for the potential deletion of this capability is frustrating.

Cynical

LE
Book Reviewer
If only we went to a single Infantry Cap Badge and single Armoured Cap Badge, we could both dispense with the bickering about whose Great Grandfathers were the best, and dispense with those empty headed bell ends who think marching around is a good way to optimise our operational effectiveness.
The problem is not bitching between units of the same arm, it's the domination of the army by infantry officers who have little understanding of either mission command or armoured warfare.

The proof of the pudding is that 50% of our infantry is light roled, goes to war in the same manner it did in 1939 (arguably 1918), has near zero tactical mobility (3mph), no protection beyond body armour, and little ability to integrate with a digital battlefield.

Bizzarely, while much of the Army denies the existence of high intensity armoured threats (presumably seeing Russia, China and the rest is beyond the ken of the pedestrian) the RAF is spending squillions on extravagant jets to counter just such a threat.

Sorry - did you just say "Worry less about providing career progression and job security for senior officers and more about being a coherent fighting force"...?
Yes, but he's okay now!!

ETA: gone for a lie down, though.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
The problem is not bitching between units of the same arm, it's the domination of the army by infantry officers who have little understanding of either mission command or armoured warfare.

The proof of the pudding is that 50% of our infantry is light roled, goes to war in the same manner it did in 1939 (arguably 1918), has near zero tactical mobility (3mph), no protection beyond body armour, and little ability to integrate with a digital battlefield.

Bizzarely, while much of the Army denies the existence of high intensity armoured threats (presumably seeing Russia, China and the rest is beyond the ken of the pedestrian) the RAF is spending squillions on extravagant jets to counter just such a threat.
Yebbut, infanteering is the pinnacle of soldiering innit? And SF is the pinnacle of the pinnacle, innit innit?

A certain senior light infantryman's (as distinct from Light Infantryman's) aversion to rotary assets is a prime illustration of just not getting it.

A classic example of an individual determined to see the world, and warfare, as he wants to see it rather than how it might/probably will be.

Oh, and you're probably being too generous with 1918; the footsloggers were at least provided with omnibuses. By 1939 they were positively whizzing about.

Latest Threads