Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

As long as you like looking Light Div (pretty much every uniform item..)
Well, the emphasis was always going to be on 'Light' rather then 'Heavy' but it was managed in an effective manner.

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Alamo

LE
Interesting to note the views that the Regimental system is an anchor that's blocking progress, followed by pages of discussion about the relative merits of cap badges, precedence and historical citations.

Well, the emphasis was always going to be on 'Light' rather then 'Heavy' but it was managed in an effective manner.

Light is of course a mindset not a cap badge. I wonder what Sir John Moore would have made of the massive tome that is Rifles dress regulations. I can’t imagine many of the old county regiments that would be into such minutiae.

Interesting to note the views that the Regimental system is an anchor that's blocking progress, followed by pages of discussion about the relative merits of cap badges, precedence and historical citations.
Pythonesque is the expression you are looking for

Old men reminiscing. I’m all in favour of a bonfire of the vanities. A quite decent suggestion of a few years ago was to reorganise the infantry into large regiments which represented the heritage of the British infantry along the lines of:

the rifles ‘as is’
The grenadiers
The fusiliers
The parachute regiment

cunningly proposed that the fusiliers would have an English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish battalion.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs

There are some who believe the Army should go back to the good old days of stern ranks marching proudly into battle following a chap wagging the Regimental colours

Old men reminiscing. I’m all in favour of a bonfire of the vanities.
Me as well!

And just to add, I've have continued the regional model for the infantry wrt the Rifles and styled them as being the regiment of SW England. Retain Ox / Bucks in lieu of Hampshire, but hive off Hereford / Shropshire to the Mercians, Birmingham to the RRF/ Mercians, S Yorkshire to the Yorkshires and Co Durham to the RRF / Yorkshires.

It could be the Royal Wessex Rifles.

Last edited:
Which figure? Don't forget that the first elements redeployed from the Empire were also in France / Belgium before the end of 1914 as well - 7 and Divs were created from scratch as regiments returned home, plus the Indian Corps (Meerut and Lahore Divisions) and an extra Cavalry Division. That's another 82,000 approx.

the 60,000

the 60,000
Not sure, tbh. I've only dipped back into this thread and not sure of any context.

Last edited:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Nobody is really worried about the merger of cap badges - as long as they keep their's! :)

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
Nobody is really worried about the merger of cap badges - as long as they keep their's! :)

Royal Regiment of Everybody?

military-beret-500x500.png

exsniffer

Old-Salt
That's the great thing about the British Army though, evolution over time. How many regiments at some point have had the White Horse of Hanover in their badges?

ETA: there was also (possibly still is) a German infantry regiment which had 'Gibraltar' as a battle honour!!

If Franco had agreed their would have been several with that honour

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
ETA: there was also (possibly still is) a German infantry regiment which had 'Gibraltar' as a battle honour!!
And there's a British one which has GIBRALTAR displayed prominently on one of the rifle companies' flags - which caused some mirth among their hosts when they were on Ex in Spain a few years ago and enquired politely if they could fly it outside the accommodation.

The Spanish - albeit with charm and good humour - felt unable to accede to the request.

The_Duke

LE
Or a rolling replen at night in radio silence?

Be wary of the assumed value of "corporate memory". We often assume that it is held within the SNCOs and passed over long serving officers, but the mistake is to believe that presence = knowledge.

Standby for dit:

2004, Ex WESSEX STORM, 1 PARA BG conducting a 9 x C130 drop onto Everleigh and Longstreet Down DZs. Lots of chats about the SNCOs being the custodians of the detailed (if not overwhelmingly complex) process of tactically loading 9 aircraft so that the right bodies with the right kit stand a better than evens chance of being on the right grid square.

When it came to manifesting the aircraft, it soon became very clear that when the Bn had last gone through this process they were in roles which meant all they had to do was find their name on a manifest, and make sure that all of the soldiers under their command had a seat on the plane. Ditto for the majority of the mid level officers.

Our best "corporate knowledge" was in a very limited subset of the LE community, and not in every Bn. Corporate knowledge" has a timeframe and I would suggest a proximity requirement.

Be wary of the assumed value of "corporate memory". We often assume that it is held within the SNCOs and passed over long serving officers, but the mistake is to believe that presence = knowledge.

Standby for dit:

2004, Ex WESSEX STORM, 1 PARA BG conducting a 9 x C130 drop onto Everleigh and Longstreet Down DZs. Lots of chats about the SNCOs being the custodians of the detailed (if not overwhelmingly complex) process of tactically loading 9 aircraft so that the right bodies with the right kit stand a better than evens chance of being on the right grid square.

When it came to manifesting the aircraft, it soon became very clear that when the Bn had last gone through this process they were in roles which meant all they had to do was find their name on a manifest, and make sure that all of the soldiers under their command had a seat on the plane. Ditto for the majority of the mid level officers.

Our best "corporate knowledge" was in a very limited subset of the LE community, and not in every Bn. Corporate knowledge" has a timeframe and I would suggest a proximity requirement.
Somebody knew what was going on, or did you have to dig out a large print book with short words and lots of pictures?

QRK2

LE
The Americans (at least all the USN I know) are envious of our "passed over Lt Cdr/Maj/Sqn Ldr" concept. They value the ability to form an institutional memory without promotion faff.

In my experience passed over Lt Cdrs are (for reasons I don't entirely understand) a very different and much more useful animal than passed over Majors.

The_Duke

LE
Somebody knew what was going on, or did you have to dig out a large print book with short words and lots of pictures?
I did (from time in the TA) which is just as well as I was the Air Ops. The Bde DCOS too, which gave top cover. The 16X air ops procedures had the process, but the crayon marks obscured some of the detail.

Latest Threads