Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

As a rule of thumb, I prefer Regular COs in Reserve Units - the Reservists are too variable in quality from the exceptional to the truly fcuking abysmal (I've had both), whereas with the Regs, they tend to be all of a standard and you sort of know what you are getting.
Bottom third. I set my expectations accordingly. Fortunately, on occasions, I am pleasantly surprised.

Bottom third. I set my expectations accordingly. Fortunately, on occasions, I am pleasantly surprised.

An AR command is not going to get you to being GOC 3 (UK) XX or COMARRC, so it is clearly not an obvious option for the Top Third, but the Middle Third may well find themselves in the chair and do perfectly well both in post and afterwards. With, perhaps, the exceptions of the the Reserve SF Units and 4PARA, you probably don't want a Top Third thruster in an AR Unit.

J_p_y, we've discussed your particular circumstances more than once. You are in the unusual position of your Unit CO's PID being a Tri-Service fill, with the obvious implications that that entails. I'll say no more...

Last edited:
An AR command is not going to get you to being GOC 3 (UK) XX or COMARRC, so it is clearly not an obvious option for the Top Third, but the Middle Third may well find themselves in the chair and do perfectly well both in post and afterwards. With, perhaps, the exceptions of the the Reserve SF Units and 4PARA, you probably don't want a Top Third thruster in an AR Unit.

J_p_y, we've discussed your particular circumstances more than once. You are in the unusual position of your Unit CO's PID being a Tru-Service fill, with the obvious implications that that entails. I'll say no more...
As I said I have been pleasantly surprised but when you have seen regular COs call scousers 'shell-suit wearing, video stealing, fence hoppers' whilst commanding a regiment based in Huyton or another CO trying to deny their soldiers bounty by re-interpreting (i.e. blatantly ignoring) Land Forces Regulations, or being sacked for sex-pesting the Adjt....

Last edited:
CO post the scouser comments was absolutely ace (apparently never thought he would get command due to a previous misdemeanour) the guy who replaced the alleged sex pest (dragged from ICSC to command at short notice) another top bloke.

The regulars are as variable as their reserve counterparts.

CO post the scouser comments was absolutely ace (apparently never thought he would get command due to a previous misdemeanour) the guy who replaced the alleged sex pest (dragged from ICSC to command at short notice) another top bloke.

I suppose it depends on the epoch: now versus 'then'.

With reducing command opportunities I've seen top-third blokes getting reserve commands. I've also seen (Regular) COs of Reserve units place well in the top of the top-third of the Div OOMs.

I suppose it depends on the epoch: now versus 'then'.

With reducing command opportunities I've seen top-third blokes getting reserve commands. I've also seen (Regular) COs of Reserve units place well in the top of the top-third of the Div OOMs.
All these in the last 15 years. I have served under those I would follow into the valley of death and those whose family I would bill for the bullet in the back of their head.

The problem the army has is prising the latter out of their role.

It's not so much the "less enlightened members of the Reserve" that are the problem - they can be managed out, or simply told "no more RSDs for you without someone saying 'we need this reservist'. (Aren't Regular military meant to be top-flight at command, leadership and management to prevent issues like this from happening?)

The problem comes when - for one example turning up every year or three here - Regulars airily proclaim "but of course Reservists will need to mobilise for six months every two years or get out, and attend mandated training at the military's convenience on pain of being AGAI'd, because that's what real soldiers do". Fair enough - that's doable as long as the impacts are understood and managed and the proper measures in place to either properly compensate employers and protect Reservists, or deal with the detail that this frequently-proposed Regular Officer's Good Idea will mean the Reserves will recruit exclusively from the unemployed.

So, can we please get a consensus? Are we Reservists part-time casual labour, or are we required to mobilise and deploy at the same rate as Regulars (whether there's something urgent to do or not)?

Leap back eight years, for instance, to this (and the wider thread).
The other point that is worth re-emphasizing here in this bellyaching about the utility and efficacy (or not) of part time staff on casual labour work arrangements is that we wouldn't be doing it if the recruitment and retention of regular soldiers and other sorts were up to scratch.

I've had more regulars whine about getting parliament to make RFA96 fit for purpose in the past few months than say they need to do an internal review and instigate root and branch reform of recruiting, RPP, NRC, Capita or whoever is not feeding enough regular warm bodies into the machine to make dependence on the reserve the rule rather than the exception.

So much whining about splinters in others eyes, whilst barely seeing the planks in your own.

It was mentioned upthread that sub-unit admin offices are being closed. This is a shame. Getting advice from a squadron clerk may be a good thing (depending on the advice). Not bothering to seek advice because of barriers could be worse.
I know this is the 21st Century, and there is a line between mollycoddling and ignorance of one’s employees. And the army has form for interfering in people’s lives.
But, as the army shrinks ever further...there is a better case for investing in your people. If the army has decided that it’s troops are simpletons and need admin help, reducing their admin help is perverse. HM Forces are one of the few organisations with an in-house admin, pay, and general HR team.
If they are ever replaced by Capita, you may regret the withering of SPS.
When they are replaced with Capita

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

I don't doubt that commitment to very basic military training is essential
Nice shade you're throwing, there...

Please remind us why regular units have to spend months doing Pre-Deployment Training. It couldn't be because their "very basic military training" needs reinforced, or that regular units aren't completely filled with fully-competent soldiers, NCOs, and Officers in post at all levels, could it? *

Yes, reserve units operate at a lower standard of readiness, and often attempt to carry out training beyond their level of collective training competence (e.g. the regular CO announcing that the Bn Annual FTX will include a BG Deliberate Attack). Normally, this is done because spending the entire time training at section level is... a huge disincentive, which fails to develop any broader understanding of sub-unit operations. Sometimes, this "training up" is done with a stunning lack of self-awareness; but it's normally done with honest intentions, and a full understanding that "this part is going to be sh!t, but the training value will come here and here".

You try persuading a regular CO that "No, Colonel, the realistic training objective of this Unit FTX is to get UOTC Officer Cadets to operate semi-competently at a section level and to start to learn how to administer themselves in the field" while he's insisting "a Company Attack will really finish things off on a high" (I managed to work around that one, it took a certain amount of fast talking, and "creative interpretation of the CO's Intent").

Reservist units were/are? like the Parson's Egg - "good in parts". The best Regular COs and Training Majors managed to come up with training that recognised the limitations of the reservists, but also managed to carry out low-level training in a collective manner. Sometimes to a competent level; e.g. we had a BG Int Section that went to CAST and did well, while the regular Bn that had been through the week before had apparently arrived without an IO/IntWO in post (to the horror of the CAST staff) and made an arrse of themselves. We'd offered them ours, they'd turned the offer down...

Ask yourself this: if the Regular Army is so committed to the ideal that you should only progress to the next Collective Training Level when you've mastered the previous one, why does RMAS attempt Company Attacks? It's not as if the Officer Cadets are competent at it, so presumably there's... some training benefit to it all?

* Op CORPORATE, consider why 1WG and 2SG gained different reputations, and why the Household Division then went on to make certain that no-one was going to accuse them of that flaw again...

Wee Hawken

Old-Salt
Yes, reserve units operate at a lower standard of readiness, and often attempt to carry out training beyond their level of collective training competence (e.g. the regular CO announcing that the Bn Annual FTX will include a BG Deliberate Attack).
I guess that we have gone backwards a bit. 30 years ago, TA Bns would execute the deliberate attack on a Bn w/e without thing twice about it. Mostly under Reg COs - reservist COs were a rare breed at the time. -possibly not an altogether bad thing (?)

Whether we were any good at it is, of course, a matter of opinion :)

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt

As a former Regular in a Reserve Unit, I can tell you that having a Regular CO is far more desirable; simply because they are actually there. When the CO comes in one, maybe two days a week tops, it does not make for a happy or productive Regiment.

As a former Regular in a Reserve Unit, I can tell you that having a Regular CO is far more desirable; simply because they are actually there. When the CO comes in one, maybe two days a week tops, it does not make for a happy or productive Regiment.
I've seen reserve COs do a top job on 2 days (and a bit more) per week. They get Mission Command and make it work.

NB not all do. But neither do all regulars fully 'get' the reserves.

Of course the reserves operate less effectively. It would be a bit embarrassing if we'd achieved parity of results across the board, on the back of an average of 40 training days a year, wouldn't it?

The point is having 30,000+ warm bodies, security-checked, with service numbers, medically fit, and basically competent. That alone cuts months off the time needed to generate an operational or strategic reserve. They can operate as narrowly-focussed sub-units in a specific role, or working to provide individual reinforcements across the Army. Both makes sense. You need to provide interesting enough training to meet those needs, and to retain that reserve by persuading them that their investment of time and effort is worthwhile.

Like it or not, you need the reserves. Because unfortunately, "mOaR rEGuLarZ!" is not the best answer for everything.

(Sarcasm mode), I remember BMH Rinteln; whose surgical outcomes were obviously on a par with the NHS? Or how about Army Legal Services, that home of the finest legal minds that money can buy? The Royal Signals, absolutely dripping with "cyber skills", and pushing the forefront of the state of the hacking art? Perhaps RMP SIB, whose detective skills were legendary? Maybe even APC, without doubt the finest example of career management and payroll handling in British Industry? Or the regular infantry, who've got their recruiting and retention so stunningly well organised that they haven't been thousands of soldiers undermanned for every single year in the last forty?

If the CO's there whenever the Reservists are there, and a little more besides, the reservists won't be able to tell the difference. And the NRPS / Civil Servants normally have enough to be getting on with.

In my era, our battalion had four regular COs and two TA - one reservist was the worst of all, but the other was better than the worst two Regulars (neither of whom was AIUI promoted further).

What you're admitting, whether you realise it or not, is that as a "Regular in a Reserve Unit" (what, ten SNCOs and four officers?) you felt uncomfortable when left to get on with things without a Lieutenant Colonel watching over you / available at the other end of the phone to sort out any arguments. That doesn't reflect well on your group of regulars...

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
If the CO's there whenever the Reservists are there, and a little more besides, the reservists won't be able to tell the difference. And the NRPS / Civil Servants normally have enough to be getting on with.

In my era, our battalion had four regular COs and two TA - one reservist was the worst of all, but the other was better than the worst two Regulars (neither of whom was AIUI promoted further).

What you're admitting, whether you realise it or not, is that as a "Regular in a Reserve Unit" (what, ten SNCOs and four officers?) you felt uncomfortable when left to get on with things without a Lieutenant Colonel watching over you / available at the other end of the phone to sort out any arguments. That doesn't reflect well on your group of regulars...
No I’m not saying that at all - I saying that CO’s have a set output, and doing 1 day a week can’t meet that, so that work either goes elsewhere or doesn’t get done. When you’re phoning the CO at his civvy work chasing MS or trying to get his direction on something is never ideal.

And yes the regular contingent in a Reserve Un it is small, but they keep the key posts as Regular for a reason; why not have a the whole Unit as reserves? You know the answer, and that’s why a Regular CO is preferred.

Fabius Maximus

Old-Salt
I've seen reserve COs do a top job on 2 days (and a bit more) per week. They get Mission Command and make it work.

NB not all do. But neither do all regulars fully 'get' the reserves.
I accept there are exceptions to the rule ‘Regular is better than Reserves’ but is simply a question of capacity; not many people can do part time what someone else does full time.

Ask anyone who’s served at a Reserve Unit - 9/10 will say they prefer a Regular CO

Regulars or Reserves haven't got to be better than each other, they've just got to be better than the enemy they face........

Latest Threads