Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Army ‘to be cut by 20,000’ if No 10 plan is approved

Chimp

ADC
Interesting read in the ST today that shows earlier fears about the Cummings influence maybe just true. The CCF sized operation we will now have looks concerning (not sure what rank Johnson held in the CCF).

Defence chiefs have drawn up plans to slash the army by a quarter and reduce the Royal Marines to a bit part as part of Boris Johnson’s defence and security review.​
The drastic cuts, which would also close airfields and take helicopters out of service, were drawn up in response to Treasury demands that Whitehall departments map out cuts of 5% or more as part of the government’s comprehensive spending review.​
In the worst-case scenario:​
• Army manpower would fall from 74,000 to 55,000​
• The Royal Marines commando brigade would be disbanded, losing its artillery, engineers and landing craft. Royal Navy minesweepers would also face the axe​
• The RAF would shut several airbases and shed its fleet of Hercules transport planes and small Puma helicopters.​

Be interesting when the government get told "sorry but we can't do that anymore" next time they plan some foreign adventure..
They won't, but the resulting operation will look like the charge of the Light Brigade.

Interesting read in the ST today that shows earlier fears about the Cummings influence maybe just true. The CCF sized operation we will now have looks concerning (not sure what rank Johnson held in the CCF).

snip​
• The RAF would shut several airbases and shed its fleet of Hercules transport planes and small Puma helicopters.​

I think hangar is the correct term.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Be interesting when the government get told "sorry but we can't do that anymore" next time they plan some foreign adventure..
One would hope the government get told that long before any foreign holidays are planned.

I think (hope) this is the disaster numbers announced before the agreed, much smaller but still painful, cuts occur.

Save money on buying rifles by using wooden silhouettes, we will sign a contract with a manufacturer in China to make 100,000 service rifles at a moments notice.

Instead of using bullets in live firing exersizes, send out a training course in mastering the art of making the noise 'Pew, pew!

Instead of flying a hercules to drop the paras, just spread the paras out in the countryside on a windy day, spin around 5 times and pull the chord and jump as high as you can.

Buy a load of replica model battleships to shadow the Russian warships in the channel, the key is to keep a steady distance so that the Russians don't suss on and they'll wonder about our stealthy warships showing up as a tiny dot on their radars.

Bob65

War Hero
• Army manpower would fall from 74,000 to 55,000

74,000 is the post-phase-2 size right now, 82,000 is the current target figure. So already these numbers are suspect.

The discrepancy between the target size and the actual size shows that the Army is already too small to be self-sustaining.

I strongly suspect this article is a "shot across the bow" so when the real announcement is made, everyone will breathe a sigh of relief...

Chimp

ADC
I particularly liked Minitrue's doubleplusungood and duckspeak (with a touch of doublethink) at the end of the article:

"A No 10 spokesman said: “It is false to say No 10 plans to cut defence. We will fulfil our manifesto commitments, including to increase the defence budget above inflation. We do not recognise the accounts of the alleged meetings.”​
Time to rectify...

I particularly liked Minitrue's doubleplusungood and duckspeak (with a touch of doublethink) at the end of the article:

"A No 10 spokesman said: “It is false to say No 10 plans to cut defence. We will fulfil our manifesto commitments, including to increase the defence budget above inflation. We do not recognise the accounts of the alleged meetings.”​
Time to rectify...

I wonder if Mark Sedwill has laid a final trap for Dominic Cummings here and Cummings has blundered straight into it?

Buy a load of replica model battleships to shadow the Russian warships in the channel, the key is to keep a steady distance so that the Russians don't suss on and they'll wonder about our stealthy warships showing up as a tiny dot on their radars.
Reverse engineer "small...far away", it could just work

Defence chiefs have drawn up plans to slash the army by a quarter and reduce the Royal Marines to a bit part as part of Boris Johnson’s defence and security review.​
The drastic cuts, which would also close airfields and take helicopters out of service, were drawn up in response to Treasury demands that Whitehall departments map out cuts of 5% or more as part of the government’s comprehensive spending review.​
In the worst-case scenario:​
• Army manpower would fall from 74,000 to 55,000​
• The Royal Marines commando brigade would be disbanded, losing its artillery, engineers and landing craft. Royal Navy minesweepers would also face the axe​

Hmm.. one can't help wondering if this, along with the disastrous drop in Police numbers over the last decade or so, is going to do the job BLM, Antifa, XR & sundry anarchist/lefty groups have been hoping for all along. Basically open our country up for a revolution akin to 1917 in Russia, where we have no state forces capable of stopping it!!

Chimp

ADC
not this shit again. I could still return, and if the numbers drop again, I may have to
I think you have bought into the prolefeed, Minipax may not want you and you could have to onwnlife.
To clarify - ownlife: A person's antisocial tendency to enjoy solitude and individualism.

Latest Threads