Arms on a different day from chest/back, or pre-exhaust?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gobbyidiot, Nov 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I never train my arms on a different day, because I could never see the sense. Normal back exercises knacker your biceps, normal chest exercises waste your triceps, so as far as I could see training arms on a different day would just muck up your recovery and repair. After chins and rowing you would be as well to do some curls and finish off your biceps. Similarly. you would be as well to do some tricep pushdowns after benching and the like. Of course, you can work back without hitting your biceps - Nautilus pullovers, shrugging, but not that well (IMHO).

Anyway, I couldn't get to the gym yesterday, so I did some back and chest at home and did arms in the gym today. I don't think I'll be repeating it. I've always had a horror of breaking a bicep tendon, a pretty common injury. I hadn't realised just how useful, for me at least, it is to do loads of compound movements for your back before you do biceps. Having more oomph just meant I could be more aggressive on isolation exercises on the arms, and it didn't really feel good. I'd be interested to know whether people who injure their bicep tendon typically do it when doing arms alone, or at the end of back work. My guess is that being jiggered from back work prevents you from doing anything too stupid - even if from the point of view of pure stimulus there is a case to be made for doing arms separately.
  2. TBH, I rarely train Biceps in isolation; as you say, they get enough of a beasting from Pull Ups, Barbell Rows etc.

I do include Tricep exercises, usually on a Leg day: Close Grip Bench. Skull Crushers and Dips are my favs. I like to put in alittle extra Tricep work because it helps Benching etc so much.
  3. The tricep doesn't feel as vulnerable as the bicep, at least for me.
  4. Fair one. I've never strained my Triceps(touch wood!) :wink:
  5. It seems much easier to succumb to a biceps injury then triceps. I've never known anyone to be plagued with triceps problems but myself included know more then a few who suffer with biceps problems. Dorian Yates was a prime example. I've trained arms separately with isolations and also not trained arms at all, relying on compound exercises to do the job. Either way my arms always stay around 17.5".
  6. Looking at people lifting things outside of the gym they never put their bicep in a vulnerable position. Lifting furniture onto a van people always do a sort of "body drag curl" until they can get under it, and then they push. I might try a heavy body drag curl with an EZ bar - although admittedly a pull back with the elbows first can become a kind of isometric lift using the shoulders. You have to concentrate on keeping the bar close to you, and I don't think it's possible to lift the bar that high.

A lot of people (me included) instinctively pull the elbows back to put a bend in their arm at the start of curls, and then lever the bar upwards using the shoulders with the bicep locked solid. When the bar is about nipple height, it gets brought in. It probably works well enough, but it's really a compound exercise.

I suppose if we are descended from apes you would expect the bicep to be used only for compound movements. Apes do pull ups and the like, but they generally leave the preacher bench alone.
  7. I personally work my chest and triceps on the same day. My biceps are done at the same time as my legs, so they can get more of an isolated workout. I find this works best for me.

My reasoning for this is based on what others here have said. Its much easier to succumb to bicep injury rather than tricep.
  8. I havent done bicep isolation exercises for a long time and rely on compounds, I was doing chin ups/pull ups the other day however and it really felt like my left bicep was going to go. I usually do them weighted but on this day I wasnt however I think I had just over worked them that week having been climbing too.