Arms find in South Belfast

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Feb 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

So,They gave up there guns & bomb's eh? Although they dont know just which faction they belonged to,Burmah Street is just off the Ormaeu Road.A lot of students from Queens live in that area however there are quite a few empty houses there.
    Maybe i'm being cynical in my old age I dont know but here's the article-
    Spike

Four held after arms seized

By Michael McHugh

25 February 2006
    Four people have been arrested and a number of householders were evacuated following a bomb alert and weapons seizure by police in south Belfast.

The arms were discovered at a house in Burmah Street and three men and one woman have been detained and are assisting police with their inquiries.

Residents were evacuated from their homes during the overnight alert and only allowed back in this morning. The area was sealed off for most of the night.

A PSNI spokeswoman said police searches of the area ended earlier today.

"Army technical officers (ATO) were called to the scene and a number of homes were evacuated," she said.

"ATO have now left the scene and residents are being allowed back into their homes."

The street contains a row of terraced houses, mainly rented out. It is a fairly integrated area off the Ormeau Road with both communities living together.

SDLP councillor Carmel Hanna said she was alarmed by news that weapons had been found.

"It is an awful experience to be taken out of your house in the middle of the night, but the first thing we must do is condemn whoever put these arms in this built-up area," she said.

"This is a fairly mixed area. It is well-integrated and it attracts people who are renting or trying to get their foot on the property ladder, so this is the last thing they need."

It is unclear at this stage what type of weapons were discovered or which paramilitary group they are being linked to.

Ulster Unionist representative Bob Stoker said the police deserved praise for their action..

"Any sort of bomb alert is deeply worrying and has to be totally condemned," he said.

"In this day and age we are trying to create a more peaceful society and I would congratulate the police for finding the weapons

2. Disarmament.... a joke!