Armourer or Aircraft tech?

Discussion in 'REME' started by DirtySanchez, Jan 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before.

I had my BARB the other day and it spat out a nice long list of jobs for me. I've had a look through and done some research on the Army jobs website, but I thought I'd ask for some first hand experiences on here :)

The two that are of interest the most are Armourer and Aircraft tech, so, if any of you guys could tell me the pros and cons of those two, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks for your time.

2. Hmmm techspanker or cellardwelling gungeek decisions decisions...

Both trades open to the Artificer route.

Tech- fast promotion to Sgt, then you will pretty much stay there forever (unless you manage to go tiffy) and become bitter and twisted. You will be surrounded by people with unfeasibly large foreheads and goggly eyes, who usually do not have the strength to support their own body weight. Good quals and a degree up for grabs if you get on.

Armourer- almost a blackhand trade but you could well end up i/c shitjobs, depends on the unit. A fear of bright lights/sunshine helpful, as is an interest in painting wargaming figures, dungeons and dragons etc. More variety of postings available than airtech. Quals not quite as good, with the best available being a HND.

Or you could choose VM and be used as a general dogsbody whenever anything needs lifting and carrying. Be trained on the most technologically advanced kit that was available in 1972 and smell of oil.

3. Ha Ha Spot on....By the way I am the latter of the two and never tire of keeping MJs on the road.

edited for shocking spelling.
    Must proof read (repeats as a mantra whilst rocking in chair)

4. Spanker or Cheers Easy, wob land or lots of sand, only one true choice, become an Armourer, it's for winners not winers.

5. practice what you preach

stop whining