Armourer/Gun fitter courses

Discussion in 'REME' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Dec 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Okay stupid question number 1.

    Is there such a thing as a civvi armourers course?

    Reason I'm asking is because the company I work for is about to become involved in some rather large contracts involving, in part, weapon systems but has no-one who has an 'armourers' qualification.

    Don't get me wrong, there is an office of people (me included) who have a decent numbers of years of weapon/ammunition design, manufacture and trials/test between us. But no-one has a bit of paper saying we are 'qualified' to maintain the items we design (although we will provide the design, traning and safety documentation for them!!), most of our previous employers had a 'company' firearms licence and accedited us through an internal process. The current company has limited weapons experience (i.e. none) hence this isn't really an option.

    I'm just starting to look into the problems we may hit once it comes to actually having the physical items on-site and this might be one of them (depending how picky the H&S dept./Security get).

    I know the easy answer would be to hire one, but in the current climate all recruitment has been stopped for the forseeable future.

    Just wondering if anyone has come across any, a quick google search failed to bring up anything obviously.


  2. The Police has it's own armourers, I don't know if they do "in house" training?

    I'm a qualified armr/gunfitter....make me a good offer :)
  3. Are you still trying to pass yourself off as a armourer? :p
  4. They load civvies onto the TA Armourer Course, if there are spaces (there always is). It's for people in organisations like QinetiQ who need a military qualification as part of a process. They (should) already know the score.

    This sounds like the sort of thing you were thinking?
  5. I don't think a private company would be able to attend a miliary armourers course at SEME/DCEME/Whatever it's called today. ABRO and QinetiQ can, as they are directly involved with the MoD.

    Weapons manufacturers such as FN, SIGArms and Armalite run their own courses. If your company is manufacturing the weapons system, they will be competent to maintain the kit as they are the Design Authority.
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

    Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

    Thanks for the thoughts.

    I'm hoping once we get the MOD contract that we will be able to organise something like this, it's just a case of getting MOD support for it. QQ and ABRO are both private companies now, and although they may do most of thier work for the MOD that doesn't give them any extras over any other MOD contractor, they just know how to work the system better (I used to work for QQ).

    The issue we have is that we probably won't be designing the weapon ourselves, our task is to integrate them into a system. This would mean going on the courses run by the DA for the weapon. Now this isn't a problem but some of the weapons will be legacy kit (GPMG etc.) and I have no idea who holds the DA for them or if there are courses run by the DA (so a course at SEME sounds like a simpler option).

    As I said I'm just covering my bases to see what is out there and available. I'm not even sure whether the bosses would pay for any of this, but as I'm probably going to have the pain of the safety aspects of live firing trials and suchlike I want to get as many options for courses and info under my belt in advance.


  7. DA for GPMG and 12.7mm QCB is FN Herstal I believe. They do run courses in Belgium, very good too by all accounts.

    MoD will probably be useful for range time and staff - I know GKN took Export Warriors to Castlemartin during the Swiss Army contract contest.

    Good luck with the contracts!
  8. Hi SR,

    I've PM-ed you but another point won't go amiss. The H&S should be covered by risk assessments for any stuff you do with the weapons carried out by a competant person. Competant person is a pretty loose term, but should the pooh hit the fan providing you can show a history of subject matter expertise then the HSE won't doubt your competance.

    Security will be a case of checking with the local firearms team at your Constabulary HQ; they'll advise you of any legal points and may even pop out for an advisory visit. Remember they're a Police Service now so make sure they give you a service!

    PM me if you want to chat about it.