armourer and civvie street

hey, i’ve applied for the army and am hoping to join the REME once i have done my phase 1. I was drawn to be an armourer, as it seems like a fun and varied job, but i want to know what civvie jobs it means you can get once you’ve left the army, and also what trades have the best jobs once you leave? cheers

hey, i’ve applied for the army and am hoping to join the REME once i have done my phase 1. I was drawn to be an armourer, as it seems like a fun and varied job, but i want to know what civvie jobs it means you can get once you’ve left the army, and also what trades have the best jobs once you leave? cheers

I only ever met one ex army armourer, he was running the up market gun department of a famous west end hunting fishing and shooting emporium in Piccadilly. The only other openings I can think off is supplying the underworld with iffy shooters, bearing in mind the last one has just gone down for a long stretch. On the up side, the septic's seem to have a love of all things murderous. At the last count there are 400m firearms in the colonies, so, room for one more nutter with a gun fixation. An alternative is as a civvie armourer working for MOD, Or in the factories making the weapons. Plod have a firearms department.

Edit to add:- "Best trade jobs when you leave" a loaded question, at the moment the building and construction industry are short of all trades, my trade, Electrician, are short about 10,000 trained men. Engineering are struggling, as are all sectors that make and export British built goods. When, and if you do your time, qualify in whatever trade or discipline you choose, the situation will have changed somewhat. Enjoy your time in uniform, and don't worry too much about the future, that will take care of itself.

Last edited:
The film industry and the Home Office have requirement for armourers.

They make exceptionally good scale models. Maybe a job with Airfix or that Dungeon and Dragons shop that all High Streets seem to have might be on.

I only ever met one ex army armourer, he was running the up market gun department of a famous west end hunting fishing and shooting emporium in Piccadilly. The only other openings I can think off is supplying the underworld with iffy shooters, bearing in mind the last one has just gone down for a long stretch. On the up side, the septic's seem to have a love of all things murderous. At the last count there are 400m firearms in the colonies, so, room for one more nutter with a gun fixation. An alternative is as a civvie armourer working for MOD, Or in the factories making the weapons. Plod have a firearms department.

Edit to add:- "Best trade jobs when you leave" a loaded question, at the moment the building and construction industry are short of all trades, my trade, Electrician, are short about 10,000 trained men. Engineering are struggling, as are all sectors that make and export British built goods. When, and if you do your time, qualify in whatever trade or discipline you choose, the situation will have changed somewhat. Enjoy your time in uniform, and don't worry too much about the future, that will take care of itself.
Brickies are on about £200 per day in London at the 'mo.....not your rough as feck trowel hands but proper Brickies who know about bonds and how to clean snots off face work!

With that user name, you could apply to be a feckwit or code breaker when you leave ;-)

ugly

LE
Go with the cave dwellers and do a full 22 years. You can then supplement your pension either as an FEO or plod armourer which actually is more like being the arms kote man as the plastic rifles will have to be returned for anything other than oiling!

Ex armourers working where I am in Germany for an American defence contractor are getting 30 quid an hour. Minimum 48 hr week.

Civvy Gunsmith ? It's a skilled trade and you'll also need business management skills so take every course that may help you .

If you subsequently do your Artificer course later in your career, you will have a wide breadth of knowledge in a lot of aspects of engineering and engineering management, so don't think that because you trained as an armourer, that is the only job you can do when you leave the services. I was an Electronics Tech and now work in the Defence Truck industry.

As an ex armourer , I now work for London Underground as an engineer manager. The skills learnt in my 25 years of service I found to be actively sought in civilian engineering; after all, a bolt or a nut does the same job if it's attached to a gun or a lift or a pump stanchion or a locomotive.

Don't worry about what you'll do when you get out, think about what you want to do when you're in. A good hard working engineer, engineering technician or mechanic is worth their weight in gold to an employer.

Last edited:
Plod armourers I know: say, £26-30kpa, 37 and half hours a week, real interesting work above the routine maintenance: research tasks, etc. Jobs I've delivered are how was this NATO round cut down, what weapon would have fired it, what level of defence is needed, and so on. I don't want an off-the-cuff answer, please evidence your experience and knowledge.

Go home at night, nothing in your head, tomorrow's a new day. Cheers easy.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't worry about what you'll do when you get out, think about what you want to do when you're in. A good hard working engineer, engineering technician or mechanic is worth their weight in gold to an employer.
I have no comment to make because guns make big bangy noises and they scare me, but....

What he said. ^

Someone who can hold a spanner, file or run his finger down a bit of metal to see if it has a burr, will be welcomed when you come out.

Chum of mine repairs and services cylindrical systems (big ****-off pumps) down the docks. He is importing lads from Eastern Europe and putting them up in digs. Because he cannot find English lads who can handle a spanner and shim a gasket.

Good luck with your time in.

22 years man and boy as an Armourer...swung plenty of lanterns and fixed a few of them too! Even pulled up a few sandbags...

Left and got a job as a Design Engineer (I could draw) and got chopped (defence cuts to business cuts)...Got another job writing engineering reports for the nuclear industry (mind numbingly boring).

Finally lost my mind and became joined Plod...get to drive cars that make a neh...nar...neh...nar noise and wear clothing that glows in the dark...

There are some interesting Armourer Jobs, but mainly off shore. I explored going to UAE as a Contractor, but didn't fancy the incessant nice warm weather!!!

A mate of mine left as an Artisan Staff Sergeant (as I did) and ended up in Jordan.

Just join and enjoy it; though I recall I didn't really enjoy 3 months filing metal in Gen Eng Wing!

22 years man and boy as an Armourer...swung plenty of lanterns and fixed a few of them too! Even pulled up a few sandbags...

Left and got a job as a Design Engineer (I could draw) and got chopped (defence cuts to business cuts)...Got another job writing engineering reports for the nuclear industry (mind numbingly boring).

Finally lost my mind and became joined Plod...get to drive cars that make a neh...nar...neh...nar noise and wear clothing that glows in the dark...

There are some interesting Armourer Jobs, but mainly off shore. I explored going to UAE as a Contractor, but didn't fancy the incessant nice warm weather!!!

A mate of mine left as an Artisan Staff Sergeant (as I did) and ended up in Jordan.

Just join and enjoy it; though I recall I didn't really enjoy 3 months filing metal in Gen Eng Wing!
No shortage of blokes that have ended up in Jordan.

When you've done any length of time in an engineering job like the REME you move beyond a turner of spanners and become a manager, Class1 / tiffy are both managers and of course as is even higher.

If you do some time in the army and leave you would jump into any manager role in engineering you don't have to stick with weapons, people get too hung up on the job they started as.

I have an armourer mate whos just left as a Cl1 full screw and now she tinkers with train locomotion.

d3adp1zzab0y. I joined as a vm, left as a vm. Branched out and became an auto electrician. Branched out again and became an Electrician playing with mahoosive generator systems. Emigrated down under for the warm weather and played with gas engines and turbine units in the gas fields. Now work with Pneumatic blasting equipment. Once you have some form of engineering trade then you will be in demand by many.