Armoured infantry

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you also have the pleasure of crew maintenance days?
Who is providing the drivers,gunners and commanders?
In fairness, we have only had the task for less than a year, so havent had a massive amount of time in and around Warriors, but i dont believe so (i assume crew maintenence to be doing things like cleaning, changing the tracks etc?) - to be honest, and not sounding jack, its not the best use for us, we have very limited availability compared to the Regs, so having us do these crew maintance days would not be very efficent.
We are paired with 5 Rifles, so use their kit and crews.

I assume you are planning on university post a level? If so consider joining the UOTC and potentially gaining a reserve commission while there, this has a number of advantages and options which are worth consideration, if you do later go regular then you get paid more at RMAS for a start!

PM me if you want to discuss in more detail.

In fairness, we have only had the task for less than a year, so havent had a massive amount of time in and around Warriors, but i dont believe so (i assume crew maintenence to be doing things like cleaning, changing the tracks etc?) - to be honest, and not sounding jack, its not the best use for us, we have very limited availability compared to the Regs, so having us do these crew maintance days would not be very efficent.
We are paired with 5 Rifles, so use their kit and crews.
Maintenance w/ends would not be the waste of time that you think,its how you get to know the vehicle. If your wagon throws a track on Saturday,you have to know how to put it back on. And you're not armoured until you experience the joy of track bashing.

Do you also have the pleasure of crew maintenance days?
Who is providing the drivers,gunners and commanders?
It just wouldn't work to give reserve battalions an armoured fleet even if the Army had the wagons to spare. The idea is that the light role reserve battalion (rich in enthusiastic weekend warriors) can provide the paired regular battalion (undermanned) with a manpower uplift. The Royal Welsh are also pairing our regular and reserve battalions in the same way.

It just wouldn't work to give reserve battalions an armoured fleet even if the Army had the wagons to spare. The idea is that the light role reserve battalion (rich in enthusiastic weekend warriors) can provide the paired regular battalion (undermanned) with a manpower uplift. The Royal Welsh are also pairing our regular and reserve battalions in the same way.
I know the TA won't get Warrior full time,I'm realistic. But if they are to slot into a Warrior battalion,knowing the vehicle will help.

@Wasteofrations you're right: knowing the vehicle helps of course. Im sure there will be some familiarisation visits or a wagon will provide some background training on weekends or annual camp.

Let's be honest though, a by-the-book dismounted attack from Warrior is dead easy, the mechanics and principles of which will be quickly picked up by a Reserve augmentee and the maint will be picked up on the way.

The problem would be if the reserves deployed as full sections instead of spread amongst the regulars, then the crew would have to show everybody!

@Wasteofrations you're right: knowing the vehicle helps of course. Im sure there will be some familiarisation visits or a wagon will provide some background training on weekends or annual camp.

Let's be honest though, a by-the-book dismounted attack from Warrior is dead easy, the mechanics and principles of which will be quickly picked up by a Reserve augmentee and the maint will be picked up on the way.

The problem would be if the reserves deployed as full sections instead of spread amongst the regulars, then the crew would have to show everybody!
Fam training on annual camp is better of course,more time,continuity etc.
As for the last paragraph, would that happen? I was TA after I left the regs,even one of our PSI's said practising to deploy as a company was pointless,because we would never do it for real. He knew that we would deploy as IR's.

Fam training on annual camp is better of course,more time,continuity etc.
As for the last paragraph, would that happen? I was TA after I left the regs,even one of our PSI's said practising to deploy as a company was pointless,because we would never do it for real. He knew that we would deploy as IR's.
Yes, they're generally individual augmentees. It works much better in terms of professional skills and personal integration.

That said (and though not in the armoured role), I understand The Rifles deployed a full platoon of reservists as part of 1WG's 2009 Herrick tour and 4PARA deployed a coy as FIRIC.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I had to double check the date - surely it's an April Fools?!?!
No. I live about 30min drive away, so we're in the same TV region. Fred Dinenage discussed the report.

it comes down to how you as an infantryman perceive Tidworth and how a civvy perceives it. I was there in 76-7 (retraining from MBT and NI to recce) and it was good enough to get me to sign on for nine.

I also remember a thread on here a long time ago in which an infantryman asked why Paderborn was a sh¡t posting. The responses fell into two categories:
  • Its a sh¡thole because the infantry are there, and
  • It was the best posting in BAOR when the infantry weren't there.
I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Last edited:

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Maintenance w/ends would not be the waste of time that you think,its how you get to know the vehicle. If your wagon throws a track on Saturday,you have to know how to put it back on. And you're not armoured until you experience the joy of track bashing.
I'm certainly not going to disagree with you (I definitely wouldnt class it as a waste of time), however track bashing cos you have to is different from doing it as part of day to day training. If you get a bunch of reservists to spend their weekend in the tank park, you wont see them next time its scheduled..

I'm certainly not going to disagree with you (I definitely wouldnt class it as a waste of time), however track bashing cos you have to is different from doing it as part of day to day training. If you get a bunch of reservists to spend their weekend in the tank park, you wont see them next time its scheduled..
Waste of time was probably the wrong phrase,fair enough. Perhaps maintenance Saturday morning,the rest of the w/end screaming round the area.

My Reserve battalion (7 Rifles) is converting to armoured infantry, providing dismounts. We basically sit in the back of a speedy tin can, holding on as the driver has a bit of fun sliding around the place before slamming the brakes on. We then pile out and storm the nearby enemy position.
Its noisy, confusing and quick! Fun though! And so far, beats walking everywhere!
But you do arrive on the objective shaken and stirred. Fun stuff and certainly does beat the courtside ramble!