I may be joining Harrogate soon and I'm hoping to join the Royal Engineers as an Armoured Engineer. Can anyone give as much information as possible about the trade and more importantly, what about after service and I go to civvy street? I doubt somehow that they use the Titan there so what about prospects after army life? If it's that bad can someone suggest alternatives for a trade and why?

Armoured isn't your only trade - depending on your qualifications/test marks, you will also have a 'proper' trade.

I was in 77AES for awhile - the armored guys maintain the wagons during normal barracks ...while on exercise, you are driving/fixing and helping the knockers on Combat engineering.

I was a Plant op - Armoured looked a little slower paced/dirty to me.

Easy life as an armoured farmer, usually why all the fat knackers liked it so much.

Usually covered in oil/grease and never too far from fatboy food. Never tab anywere and usually spend all exercise driving from leaguer to leaguer and cooking fry ups and sitting on top of the louvres.

Fiercely proud of being armoured though, has a bit of heritage with it. Believe they were busy on telic 1, sure I saw a sign saying 'welcome to Iraq' courtesy of some Armd Engr SQN next to a bridge they'd dropped somewhere on a gap. Saw some limited use on herrick, although in what capacity I couldn't say?

I believe they offer it as a trade these days? My advice would be to go for a more useful trade like sparky or fitter (if you are thinking ahead to civvie street). You can always be posted to an armoured Sqn with out being traded as a tankie. Happened to me.

@SOCALSapper when were you in 77? I did a stint in 37 AES, your very friendly next door neighbours. Was in the field troop though obviously. Good times. Was some right characters in 77/37 still fcuking laugh now.

Easy life as an armoured farmer, usually why all the fat knackers liked it so much.

Usually covered in oil/grease and never too far from fatboy food. Never tab anywere and usually spend all exercise driving from leaguer to leaguer and cooking fry ups and sitting on top of the louvres.

Fiercely proud of being armoured though, has a bit of heritage with it. Believe they were busy on telic 1, sure I saw a sign saying 'welcome to Iraq' courtesy of some Armd Engr SQN next to a bridge they'd dropped somewhere on a gap. Saw some limited use on herrick, although in what capacity I couldn't say?

I believe they offer it as a trade these days? My advice would be to go for a more useful trade like sparky or fitter (if you are thinking ahead to civvie street). You can always be posted to an armoured Sqn with out being traded as a tankie. Happened to me.

@SOCALSapper when were you in 77? I did a stint in 37 AES, your very friendly next door neighbours. Was in the field troop though obviously. Good times. Was some right characters in 77/37 still fcuking laugh now.

It was 2001 - 2003... And yes, some real 'characters'. You are right about it being lots of fatties, I came from EOD, and at the time, it was all about Phys and green army skills. Then 77 with its well used attic bar and lack of work...

My main worry is that I'll be seen as a spare part and spend a lot of time doing **** all on base and then occasionally going to a shop to fix something, I want something where I have a brilliant career, best prospects and stuff for when I come out in civvy street, without being a Rupert.

Latest Threads