Armoured Cavalry or Light Cavalry

Merls

Swinger
Hello all,

having shown an interest in becoming an officer in the Infantry, RE and Artillery, it seems only natural that I should eventually realise that the RAC, in particular recce, is the way forward. I understand that Army 2020 has split Formation Recce into two roles, and I also understand that much debate has been had on the apparent merits of either. Having spoken to individuals about what the new role of Light Cavalry will entail I have decided I quite like the sound of it, however I have realised that as part of the adaptable force, chances of 'active' deployment are relatively slim in comparison to the Reactive Armoured Cav regiments.

Essentially what I am asking, is if in reality the roles will only be differentiated by the platforms they are carried out on (CVRT/SCOUT and the Jackal) being just different forms of what has been known as formation recce/brigade recce for years? Or can I expect them to be completely different? I have already heard for example that Light Cav is expected to swing further towards what has been the role of the BRFs, if so why have these regiments stuck in the Adaptable force?

Cheers and much love,

Merls

Last edited:
There are actually some changes afoot here. Having been slated to be held solely in the Adaptable Force, it now seems that Lt Cav regiments will now be held at various states of readiness in support of the Reaction Force. Draft details are currently being circulated at AD level, so inappropriate to go into detail here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glass Jaw

Swinger
Merls,

Also, keep in mind that Light Cav doctrine is still in development, so it may take some time before a concrete answer is forthcoming. What people think it will be and what it may end up being may be slightly different, but we couldn't change things too much...it's just not how its done!

At this stage, there has been almost no cultural changes yet apart from the platforms and an increase in interest in dismounted activities.

Hope that helped.

Merls

Swinger
Cheers chaps. I guess I just need to watch this space and wait and see what the role will bring. Any idea where I can find anything more official on light cav? The Army website is pretty bad with updates.

Have you thought of the REME?
Young eager young thrusters always welcome.
And you can even be an officer in the Corps with a degree in Town Planning!!!

Merls

Swinger
Have you thought of the REME?
Young eager young thrusters always welcome.
And you can even be an officer in the Corps with a degree in Town Planning!!!
I have looked at both REME and RE, both pretty interesting. Unfortunately as a history student, with a terrible way when it comes to engineering I doubt I would be of much use as a REME officer. It is really recce that has interested me, whether that be engineering recce or artillery observation, there is something appealling about the independence and the intelligence gathering side of things. I don't really have much interest ironically in the Armoured element of the RAC so the more dismounted Light Cav ends up being the better for me.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm sure there's a good reason why you'd choose not to apply for the Intelligence Corps, but can't think what it might be.....

I knew an RE officer with a first in Classics from Cambridge and an RN Warfare Officer whose degree was Theatre Arts & Mime!

Merls

Swinger
I'm sure there's a good reason why you'd choose not to apply for the Intelligence Corps, but can't think what it might be.....
I can't find much info on what intelligence officers actually get up to, apart from stuff on here about it mostly consisting of admin and management of the operatives, who seem to have most of the fun.

It is the gathering of intelligence that interests me most, and being out 'in the field' I know that sounds cliche but if being an intelligence officer means mostly being in barracks then I am not interested.

Also I hear it is one of the most competitive options at Sandhurst...

I'd suggest that it doesn't matter which you choose because within 2-3 years some jolly chap in MoD will have redesigned it all and/or re-rolled your unit. Recce is a good place for someone who wants use his brain rather than just hitting things, it also helps to have a flexible mind which will make coping with the changes above easier.

Perhaps he might want to join a close knit regiment with a clear combat arms ethos rather than an (admittedly) small but disparate corps with a distinctly non-combat arms ethos.

Not trying to slate the Int Corps, just pointing out that it is horses for courses. Int Corps is a great option for some, but will not provide the same opportunity for leadership and command. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of Int Corps officers are in the intelligence processing rather than collection business.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Perhaps he might want to join a close knit regiment with a clear combat arms ethos rather than an (admittedly) small but disparate corps with a distinctly non-combat arms ethos.

Not trying to slate the Int Corps, just pointing out that it is horses for courses. Int Corps is a great option for some, but will not provide the same opportunity for leadership and command. Also, and correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of Int Corps officers are in the intelligence processing rather than collection business.

Won't correct you there, would even amplify it to note that the bulk of DE Int Corps officers are in the intelligence management business, when not competing hard with their peers for crunchy jobs as SO2 whatever. Less opportunity for leadership, as well, as you quite rightly note - the average Corps NCO or WO, to say nothing of the LE contingent, doesn't respond well to it :-D

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can't find much info on what intelligence officers actually get up to, apart from stuff on here about it mostly consisting of admin and management of the operatives, who seem to have most of the fun.

It is the gathering of intelligence that interests me most, and being out 'in the field' I know that sounds cliche but if being an intelligence officer means mostly being in barracks then I am not interested.

Also I hear it is one of the most competitive options at Sandhurst...
As m'learned and combat-hardened friend @brave-coward notes above, for the ruffty-tuffty combat arms stuff, cav is a far better option than Int Corps, although, to be fair, during a long career in that Corps I once had a very nasty paper cut and there was this one time in Northern Ireland where the pie delivery was late.....

Cavalry all the way for me (obviously).
The choice of heavy or light is a more serious decision, as posters have pointed out. Things are still in flux. I heard recently that the Hussars are looking to have 2 squadrons MBT and 2 in an infantry role, possibly 'mounted' in warrior. I do not see the logic in that, though there may be somewhere.
The Light Role I believe is the way ahead. Many wheel based regiments (ScotsDG), all the skills and tactics remain the same, you lose the 30mm cannon but have loads of machine guns mounted a la early 1940's SAS in Africa. You do not have the same problems with track mileage that always haunted you (MBT or CVR(T)) and you do not have to bash tracks.
Recce requires a certain type of officer for as well as being able to think on your feet, and all that was mentioned above, you need to be able to live with your troop for long periods, on your own, at a distance from SHQ - not everyone can do this. If you are a twat you will be binned sharpish.
Finally, whichever Cavalry you join you will be able to shout 'Charge', pull very fit birds in your mess kit, wear spurs (below field rank) and use words like 'mount', 'panzer' and 'fukcing Bowman' a lot.

Merls

Swinger
Recce requires a certain type of officer for as well as being able to think on your feet, and all that was mentioned above, you need to be able to live with your troop for long periods, on your own, at a distance from SHQ - not everyone can do this. If you are a twat you will be binned sharpish.
Finally, whichever Cavalry you join you will be able to shout 'Charge', pull very fit birds in your mess kit, wear spurs (below field rank) and use words like 'mount', 'panzer' and 'fukcing Bowman' a lot.
I want all of this, especially the latter end of your post. now which regiment? (prepared for incoming)

Which part of the UK do you come from?

Merls

Swinger
This is the problem, I am from the south east of England. I don't have any connection with Wales (QDG) , nor the north of England really, although I do quite like the ethos and history of the Light Dragoons. I am at university in Glasgow which gives me some connection with the Scots DG I guess.

..you lose the 30mm cannon but have loads of machine guns mounted a la early 1940's SAS in Africa.
Which is the bit that bothers me, the vehicle on theft wasn't the hottest thing on the planet but the first time I saw a Somalian 'technical' on the TV, and lets face it that's what RWMIK is a copy of, I thought, yes those I could engage any day of the week and feel comfortable about the result. As you say a la SAS Western Desert, they would hide in the day the drive over an airfield at speed in the middle of the night brassing up unmanned aircraft, but that isn't really recce is it.

Latest Threads