Armoured Cavalry (CVRT) Height Restrictions?

Hello, I've been thinking about joining up and the role that most catches my eye is that of an armoured cavalry crewman. I've heard the Royal Armoured Corps put you in a regiment after phase 1 (2?) based off your stated preferred role and where you're joining from so I presume under those terms I'd be going for Royal Dragoon Guards.

I've read on here (yes I used the search function, no I did not find a definitive answer), and was told on the army.mod.uk live chat thingy that Armoured regiments on Challenger 2 have a height restriction in place of 188cm. I was wondering if there's anyone in the know here who could tell me if the same restriction applies to Regiments in CVRTs.

Many thanks, A.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hello, I've been thinking about joining up and the role that most catches my eye is that of an armoured cavalry crewman. I've heard the Royal Armoured Corps put you in a regiment after phase 1 (2?) based off your stated preferred role and where you're joining from so I presume under those terms I'd be going for Royal Dragoon Guards.

I've read on here (yes I used the search function, no I did not find a definitive answer), and was told on the army.mod.uk live chat thingy that Armoured regiments on Challenger 2 have a height restriction in place of 188cm. I was wondering if there's anyone in the know here who could tell me if the same restriction applies to Regiments in CVRTs.

Many thanks, A.
Use the force.

How tall is too tall?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No height restriction I'm aware of. Some right tall, lanky buggers in my Regiment that were drivers and gunners. You can bump the seat down in a CVR(T) and slink yourself down a bit further if you need to.

You also pick your Regiment beforehand, and go through Phase 1 with your capbadge. Phase 2 is at Bovington where you go through driver training if you're CVR(T) or driver or gunner training depending what straw you pull if you're MBT.

If you like having to fix constantly broken, shitty wagons, then a CVR(T) Regiment is for you. :D

I'd recommend a particular CVR(T) Regiment based in Windsor... simply because it's new accommodation (2007, so still new!), in a great location (20 min on train to Londinium and Windsor is lovely) and I found from speaking to some of my mates elsewhere, that they seem to tour and travel abroad more than most. I certainly got around shitloads during my time.

No height restriction I'm aware of. Some right tall, lanky buggers in my Regiment that were drivers and gunners. You can bump the seat down in a CVR(T) and slink yourself down a bit further if you need to.

You also pick your Regiment beforehand, and go through Phase 1 with your capbadge. Phase 2 is at Bovington where you go through driver training if you're CVR(T) or driver or gunner training depending what straw you pull if you're MBT.

If you like having to fix constantly broken, shitty wagons, then a CVR(T) Regiment is for you. :D

I'd recommend a particular CVR(T) Regiment based in Windsor... simply because it's new accommodation (2007, so still new!), in a great location (20 min on train to Londinium and Windsor is lovely) and I found from speaking to some of my mates elsewhere, that they seem to tour and travel abroad more than most. I certainly got around shitloads during my time.
There are definable height restrictions in place now. Along with a lot of tall blokes looking to recapbadge.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)[/QUOTE]

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There are definable height restrictions in place now. Along with a lot of tall blokes looking to recapbadge.
[/QUOTE]

Huh. Must've hit the numbers hard as soon as that came in. I recall the dramas with the Mastiffs and all the normal sized folk snapping their necks in two during a blast as the seats were base mounted. Only small man syndrome folk were allowed to drive them. Last time I looked in at ATDU (2010?) they were trying to figure out how to roof sling the seating in the CVR(T) and had gone so far as to weld a Scimitar turret on to a Spartan to give them more internal space to play with. They could roof sling the driver and gunner, but couldn't do anything with the driver due to the low height of the driver cab.

used to serve with a lad nicknamed too tall
He couldn't driver Scimiter as he was too tall and his head stuck out to high from the drivers cuppola.
Spartan not a problem

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
they were trying to figure out how to roof sling the seating in the CVR(T) and had gone so far as to weld a Scimitar turret on to a Spartan to give them more internal space to play with. They could roof sling the driver and gunner, but couldn't do anything with the driver due to the low height of the driver cab.
That will be awkward.

"Sabot traverse right..."

"Wathefuck? Some twunt's welded the turret to the hull. Traverse not available."

Though I can see them being able to mount commander's and gunner's seats off bars off the top of the turret ring. Might take some effort to make it strong enough, but that's what trials and development units ought to be good at.

Edit. Third time lucky after realising there's a rogue end quote tag in the post he's quoting.

I wouldn't worry about the height inside a CVR (T), by the time you get in, AJAX might be around and that's the size of a small apartment complex.

I wouldn't worry about the height inside a CVR (T), by the time you get in, AJAX might be around and that's the size of a small apartment complex.
And unless we're fighting in Calais we're unlikely to get it anywhere hostile anyway.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Some of the advice here is out of date or about to become so.

There are no height restrictions for Armd Cav. The reason is that although Armd Cav has CVR(T) now, it will soon start to get AJAX. AJAX is designed to accommodate up to the 95th percentile man and down to the 5th percentile woman. What this means is that it will fit really large and really small people and everyone in between.

The Household Cavalry regiments (Life Guards and Blues and Royals) soldiers choose their regiments prior to Phase 1 training and start to wear their cap badges before they get to Phase 2 training at Bovington. The soldiers destined for the other RAC regiments initially wear the RAC capbadge and them choose their regiments during Phase 2 training (at Bovington). The reason for this is that household cavalry soldiers sit in a slightly different trade group to RAC soldiers (because their job additionally includes horse mounted ceremonial duties), this means that soldiers are either go into the household cavalry (mounted dutyman) trade or the main RAC crewman trade from the point at which they join the army. This division will probably disappear in the years to come as the household cavalry come into line with the rest of the RAC.

The other point of interest regarding the household cavalry, is that they will almost certainly either move out of a Windsor to either Warminster, Tidworth or Bulford or they will re-role to Lt Cav. It is not clear yet which of these will happen but likely to be announced in the next six months on the back of the Army 2020 (Refine) work. The reason for this is so that the Army can consolidate all (or most of) the AJAX equipped units around Salisbury Plain and also because Combermere Barracks in Windsor will not support AJAX (essentially AJAX and the support equipment and vehicles it needs will not fit into the barracks).

In my view Combermere Barracks would be ideal for a Lt Cav regiment due to its proximity to Windsor Great Park, which would make an ideal back gate training area for Lt Cav (but obviously not for Armd Cav).

Incidentally the reasons for capbadging during Phase 2 are so that the soldiers can properly learn about each of the RAC regiments, where they are, what they do and what they are likely to do in the future. This enables them to make an informed choice about where they want to go and also allows them to chose a regiment that their mates in training are joining. Clearly it also better enables the Army to prioritise manning, however currently over 80% of Phase 2 RAC soldiers get their first choice and about virtually all of them get either their first, second or third choice, so there are very few unhappy campers at the end of the day. Ultimately, whichever regiment you join will be the best regiment in the Army!

Last edited:
What a post, very informative. In your opinion which of the Light Cav regiments would be likely to move to Combermere Barracks? If I recall correctly they are spread across Scotland, Catterick and Swanton-Morley.

I'd have thought Swanton Morley based on keeping SDG in Scotland makes sense and keeping 'The Northern Cavalry" in the north seems ideal. And seeing as Swanton-Morley is....I think, an old RAF barracks or something and the closest too.

What a post, very informative. In your opinion which of the Light Cav regiments would be likely to move to Combermere Barracks? If I recall correctly they are spread across Scotland, Catterick and Swanton-Morley.

I'd have thought Swanton Morley based on keeping SDG in Scotland makes sense and keeping 'The Northern Cavalry" in the north seems ideal. And seeing as Swanton-Morley is....I think, an old RAF barracks or something and the closest too.
No idea, I'm afraid. HCR may stay there but re-role. If they do stay in role and move to the Salisbury Plain area, it is not clear whether they would be replaced in Combermere Barracks by another regiment (whether RAC or not) or whether the MOD would sell it off. You need to consider that selling Combermere Barracks would generate quite a lot of money, but also there is always pressure to base ceremonial troops near London, so they could put a Foot Guards Bn in there potentially.

There is a MOD footprint/basing strategy paper (recently released) which may have the answer in it. I have flicked through it, but cannot remember what it said about Combermere Barracks. I think it did say that Swanson Morley might go in the medium term (but I may be wrong about that). There is probably a link to the basing paper on ARRSE somewhere, but (if I recall correctly) it is quite high level and doesn't mention specific units.

As you say, if another Lt Cav regiment is going to go into Combermere Barracks, QDG (being the Welsh Cavalry, relocating closer to Wales) would probably be the obvious choice. This is pure conjecture at this stage. I don't think you would want to prize LD out of Yorkshire or the SCOTS DG out of Scotland.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
No idea, I'm afraid. HCR may stay there but re-role. If they do stay in role and move to the Salisbury Plain area, it is not clear whether they would be replaced in Combermere Barracks by another regiment (whether RAC or not) or whether the MOD would sell it off. You need to consider that selling Combermere Barracks would generate quite a lot of money, but also there is always pressure to base ceremonial troops near London, so they could put a Foot Guards Bn in there potentially.

There is a MOD footprint/basing strategy paper (recently released) which may have the answer in it. I have flicked through it, but cannot remember what it said about Combermere Barracks. I think it did say that Swanson Morley might go in the medium term (but I may be wrong about that). There is probably a link to the basing paper on ARRSE somewhere, but (if I recall correctly) it is quite high level and doesn't mention specific units.

As you say, if another Lt Cav regiment is going to go into Combermere Barracks, QDG (being the Welsh Cavalry, relocating closer to Wales) would probably be the obvious choice. This is pure conjecture at this stage. I don't think you would want to prize LD out of Yorkshire or the SCOTS DG out of Scotland.
Don't HCR own Combermere, or is that just one of those duty rumours?

Duty rumour, I'm afraid!

I believe that the HAC own their place in the City and there are a few oddities where barracks are leased on a peppercorn rent, but on the condition that they are used as barracks.

I have feeling that GOC London District lives (or used to live) in a house in one of the more expensive areas of London which was on a long lease (costing the MOD virtually nothing) from one of the estates that owns most of London. Legend has it that a few years ago, some MOD civil servant decided that it was outrageous that any officer should live in such a fine abode and sought to sell off the property or lease, only to find that there was nothing to sell and that it cost the MOD far less than having to provide a normal quarter elsewhere. Also (it is said) that when the MOD scoped whether the house could instead be given to some other (more senior) government functionary, they would that the terms of the lease restricted its use to GOC London District. - So says the legend...