Armour and Armd Recce Trg: Your View

Discussion in 'RAC' started by recce_one, May 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all,

Just looking to poke a stick at the brains of the wise and experienced here who have sat in a turret on this topic.

Having state of the art kit is excellent and must have for modern ops etc. But my question to you all is in relation to armd crew (heavy or recce)training.The series of nerve endings behind the effort to pull tilly bars, traverse turrets, scan/aquire/engage, navigating from A to B to Y closed down....whilst bouncing around banging head off sights, blacked out and listening out two nets...trying to get radio messages with correct format and VP to your an effort to avoiding hordes of abuse of sloppy VP for other C/S...and completing the mission.

What are in your experience the vitals when it comes down to Armd Crew training, esp for the Tp/Crew commanders/sgts/cpls? Interested to hear your opinions (pos/neg)on this...

(ps not a gamer,journo etc etc ......I am a newbie here and I am quite aware this question has all the mess tin clanging indicators of said types....cheers!!!!)
  2. A better question would be, is armoured recce necessary in this day and age? Is heavy armour necessary?
  3. Why is that a better question? It's another question, but completely orthogonal to the original.

Anyway... The vitals - As you say it's a pretty busy job. In my opinion, the thing that makes it all work is trust in the other call signs in the Tp / Sqn / BG. The adage of 'fight the tank then the formation' follows. When comfortable with this, it gives time to think about nav / targeting / comms / whatever as you're not stressing about what your flaking / supporting / supported formations are up to.