Armitage Shanks

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by TVEDU_RED, Mar 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just back from the pub, went for a pee, looked at the urinal and wondered (not for the first time) "Who is Armitage, and what is a shank?"

Anyone?

2. Dirt_Diver

Dirt_Diver LE Moderator

unsure, but the factory is 20 mins up the road from me.... or one of them anyway 8O

beer.... mans bezzer mate :D

last orders? i shit 'em!

3. Dunno about Armitage, but I'd heard of "Shanks of Barrhead" before (a tale by the bearded loon I think).

Google offers:

http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=151,349529&_dad=pestro&_schema=PORTAL_TESTRO

They must get the prize for the most p*ssed-on business name ever though? :lol:

4. Having boated past "Armitage Shanks" (on the canal) several times,we always gather on deck to witness the greatest collection of sanitary ware known to mankind.Awesome :lol:

5. They were one of my customers so very, very sadly I know the answer.

A Mr Armitage and a Mr Shanks started the company.

Dull but true.

Far more intersting to beleive that Mr Armitage was a cockney who invented a porcelain receptacle to throw one off in to and named it in rhyming slang accordingly.

And that a fcuking really, really high fcuking wall between the factory and the canal, I know cause i nearly fell off the cnut.

6. Just closing down and found the Barrhead page still open. 8O WTF?

Seems the answers were there all along... :oops:

Now.. how about a nice cup of tea? :D

7. Admired it on several occcasions :lol:

8. A sad true story that taught me to think twice before opening my big gob.

I once worked for a company that held the PC maintenance contract for Armitage Shanks, and was tasked with a job there one day.

Any way on arrival I was fit to burst and uttered the memorable line as I entered reception of

"Hello love have you got a loo."

The look the receptionist gave me said it all, needless to say I finished the job and scarpered

Zippy483

9. At the target in front, in you're own time go on

10. On that note i've noticed urinals in Germany often have a picture of a fly on them - presumably as something to aim at. What's that all about??

11. Living in a land where constipation is an unknown factor I bought an American Standard crapper when I move into my condo.
    Now't better then releasing ya load on our 'old colonials' finest.
    john