Armitage Shanks

Just back from the pub, went for a pee, looked at the urinal and wondered (not for the first time) "Who is Armitage, and what is a shank?"

Anyone?

Dunno about Armitage, but I'd heard of "Shanks of Barrhead" before (a tale by the bearded loon I think).

Google offers:

http://www.eastrenfrewshire.gov.uk/portal/page?_pageid=151,349529&_dad=pestro&_schema=PORTAL_TESTRO

History of Shanks

Introduction

Shanks of Barrhead was a name known throughout the world. Much of what we take for granted in the bathroom was pioneered by John Shanks. However Shanks influence was wider and encompassed such things as ship's fittings, mortuary equipment, specialized hospital equipment, laboratory fittings. There is scarcely an individual who would not recognize the name Shanks and there are probably several million people use one of the products each and every day.

The announcement that the factory in Barrhead was to close and that the business would be transferred to England came as a severe blow to the people of Barrhead. Although the works were a shadow of their former self and employed over 300 people it was a major employer in the Barrhead area..... etc
They must get the prize for the most p*ssed-on business name ever though? :lol:

papa_lazaroo said:
unsure, but the factory is 20 mins up the road from me.... or one of them anyway 8O

beer.... mans bezzer mate :D

last orders? i s*** 'em!
Having boated past "Armitage Shanks" (on the canal) several times,we always gather on deck to witness the greatest collection of sanitary ware known to mankind.Awesome :lol:

They were one of my customers so very, very sadly I know the answer.

A Mr Armitage and a Mr Shanks started the company.

Dull but true.

Far more intersting to beleive that Mr Armitage was a cockney who invented a porcelain receptacle to throw one off in to and named it in rhyming slang accordingly.

And that a fcuking really, really high fcuking wall between the factory and the canal, I know cause i nearly fell off the cnut.

Just closing down and found the Barrhead page still open. 8O WTF?

Seems the answers were there all along... :oops:

The company suffered great losses due to a rapid increase in the manufacture of Sanitary Ware in plastics and fibreglass by others. .. and eventually in the late sixties negotiations with Armitage Ware L.T.D. resulted in a takeover. Shanks ceased to exist in august 1969 and a new company Armitage Shanks L.T.D. came into being.

In 1980 another takeover resulted in the company becoming part of the Blue Circle Industries Group.

In 1989 Barrhead and the surrounding community were shocked by the announcement that the Tubal Works were to close.

Early in 1992 the final bombshell was dropped with the announcement that the Ceramic Works would close. The successor to the pottery finally closed shortly afterwards.

Armitage Shanks continues in England and throughout the whole of the world but the near legendary association of Barrhead and Shanks is now Finished.

The site has now been taken south. Apparently much of the archive material belonging to the company was destroyed whether by accident or design we will never know.

(Author: Bill McConnichie, ex-employee of Shanks, Barrhead)
Now.. how about a nice cup of tea? :D

Aunty Stella said:
They were one of my customers so very, very sadly I know the answer.

A Mr Armitage and a Mr Shanks started the company.

Dull but true.

Far more intersting to beleive that Mr Armitage was a cockney who invented a porcelain receptacle to throw one off in to and named it in rhyming slang accordingly.

And that a fcuking really, really high fcuking wall between the factory and the canal, I know cause i nearly fell off the cnut.
Admired it on several occcasions :lol:

A sad true story that taught me to think twice before opening my big gob.

I once worked for a company that held the PC maintenance contract for Armitage Shanks, and was tasked with a job there one day.

Any way on arrival I was fit to burst and uttered the memorable line as I entered reception of

"Hello love have you got a loo."

The look the receptionist gave me said it all, needless to say I finished the job and scarpered

Zippy483

Akira said:
At the target in front, in you're own time go on
On that note i've noticed urinals in Germany often have a picture of a fly on them - presumably as something to aim at. What's that all about??

Living in a land where constipation is an unknown factor I bought an American Standard crapper when I move into my condo.
Now't better then releasing ya load on our 'old colonials' finest.
john

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Praetorian Sports, Adventure Training and Events 6