Armistice in Flanders 2018

Evening chaps. I've booked to go on my first Leger battlefield tour in November to commemorate the centenary of the 1918 Armistice in Ypres. I'm really looking forward to it, and to mark this significant even with a couple of mates from work who've done one or two trips already. They say I'll definitely find it interesting and should enjoy it.
Two things; has anyone on the forum been on one of the Leger tours and are they as good as I'm led to believe, and are any Arrsers going on the trip or be in the area on the relevant dates (9-11 November)?

I seem to remember @AT55 mentioning on another thread that he'd been on Leger tours.

Evening chaps. I've booked to go on my first Leger battlefield tour in November to commemorate the centenary of the 1918 Armistice in Ypres. I'm really looking forward to it, and to mark this significant even with a couple of mates from work who've done one or two trips already. They say I'll definitely find it interesting and should enjoy it.
Two things; has anyone on the forum been on one of the Leger tours and are they as good as I'm led to believe, and are any Arrsers going on the trip or be in the area on the relevant dates (9-11 November)?
I went on a Leger trip to the D-Day beaches in 2000.
It was a bit tedious getting there - we were picked up in Stevenage and then had to transfer to another coach once we got to Normandy. Other than that, it was good. The guide knew his stuff and we had a good trip. It was a 'no rush' trip spread over three days. We visited all the major sites and museums and had plenty of time for sight seeing.

I have been on quite a few of their tours and think they are value for money. The best by far was the Maginot Line. On a few of the other tours they seem to kill a lot of time by visiting war cemeteries.

Went two years ago for the Flanders tour by myself. As Pete says above the travel to Dover(and back) can be a bit of a ball ache. I paid for the silver service but you don't get any silver service until you get off the Ferry.
Once rolling in silver class around F&F it is fine. For the guide I had Paul Reed, a lot of know how and has written a lot of books on the subject. Well looked after at hotel and on the bus. I do suggest you read up and take some books with you on the areas/battles you will visit and any personal information on any relatives that served.

Other suck egg tips. Take a day sack with flask and other goodies to help you out. There is access to food on the coach etc but I found having my own coffee a help. I admit being a bit dusty eyed at high wood. Took myself off with my daysack had my coffee, a munch and balance returned. Also pay for the "package" they offer you about 40 euro it covers the museum fees and you get a nice horror bag/café food supplied. It saves d8cking about when you arrive at a location and you get more food!

Oh and do wear good shoes/boots!

I have been on quite a few of their tours and think they are value for money. The best by far was the Maginot Line. On a few of the other tours they seem to kill a lot of time by visiting war cemeteries.
F&F tours do visit most of main memorials/CWGC sites but if you have a word with the guide they can point out the battle area and give you time to have a look at the area rather than the memorials. Again prep with trench maps and planning can add to the trip.

Trench maps avalible from Library of Scotland.

F&F tours do visit most of main memorials/CWGC sites but if you have a word with the guide they can point out the battle area and give you time to have a look at the area rather than the memorials. Again prep with trench maps and planning can add to the trip.

Trench maps avalible from Library of Scotland.
You can also down load the Ypres app - www.visit-ypres.com and one for the Hooge crater. Just back from yomping the Salient which was fascinating but so much more tider than the Somme.

Cheers mate. Thought for a moment you meant "Fire and Fury" and wondered just how bad your missus had pissed you off :)

Take a good guide book with you. I visited Ypres in 1998 and again in 2000 in the car. I took a copy of 'Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Ypres Salient'. It's an excellent book.

This seems to be the latest version:
Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide Books and Battlefield Maps - MAJOR & MRS HOLT'S DEFINITIVE BATTLEFIELD GUIDE BOOK TO THE YPRES SALIENT BATTLEFIELD & PASSCHENDAELE

But Amazon have a cheaper (earlier?) version:

I’m ashamed to say that I’ve never visited my Great Uncle’s grave. So I’m going with my brothers on 16th October- the centenary of his death- to Haussy, East of Cambrai, where he died in the course of an attack.

I’ve plotted the movements of his battalion- 9th Bn The East Surrey Regt- using their war diary from April, the likeliest month he joined them, as they rebuilt after being wiped out in the Spring offensive. We shall follow in his footsteps as much as possible.
His war ended in a battlefield grave just West of the village- I suspect at the site of Battalion HQ- from which he was disinterred about a year later during the graves concentration process.

Take a good guide book with you. I visited Ypres in 1998 and again in 2000 in the car. I took a copy of 'Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Ypres Salient'. It's an excellent book.

This seems to be the latest version:
Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide Books and Battlefield Maps - MAJOR & MRS HOLT'S DEFINITIVE BATTLEFIELD GUIDE BOOK TO THE YPRES SALIENT BATTLEFIELD & PASSCHENDAELE

But Amazon have a cheaper (earlier?) version:
Totally agree The Holts guide was invaluable -especially the fold out map in the back.
What we found - and we spent two days walking 16 miles a day was it was quite complicated to follow the way the line moved and to get to all we wanted to see. There are sections for another day like Langemarck and Messines.

We stayed just outside the Lille gate in a fantastic B&B.

1. On day 1 - Tabbed via Shrapnel corner, Bedford to Spoilbank cemetary across to The Bluff and Battle Wood. From there to Hill 60, Mount Sorrel -Sanctuary Wood and onto the Hooge. From there we followed the Remembrance trees which are great markers and story boards along Bellewaade, railway wood up my the Tunnellers grave marker. It was a stunning walk packed with things to see and also quite kind on your feet.

2. Day 2 we wanted to see where two great Uncles had been killed one up at Mousetrap Farm and the other near Tyne Cott. This was a harder tab and I would suggest you use the great bus service, quite why we didn't I am not quite sure as I am still suffering! We walked via Sint Jan up to Wieltje (first gas attack in 1915) to Mousetrap Farm. From there via Cheddar Villa, Vancover Corner - the windmill then into Passchendaele. We walked back via Tyne Cott and then picked up a bus from Zonnebeke into Ypres.

In Ypres its essential to see the last post at The Menin Gate and do the respective sights its hard to think the place was all but smeared in to the ground.

My tips have a list of the things you want to see - and plan round them, as Major Holt says it should take two months to cover the Salient not two mad days walking!!
If you have ancesters to see plan a battlefield walk around them, we did the May 1915 offensive on Mousetrap Farm where over a 1000 Irish were killed, it was very sobering.

Enjoy if thats the right word, it was a memorable few days.