Armenian genocide deniers could be punished in France

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, May 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Do you think that our French friends are right. Should other countries (the UK, USA, Germany, Russia, Israel) introduce a similar law?
  2. I reluctantly don't think so. In the end people ought to be allowed to say and believe what they want even if those beliefs are completely stupid or false as long as they don't encourage physical harm. They should be challenged with truth and made to look like fools instead.
  3. Agree with Virgil. Everyone's entitled to their own beliefs and stupid arguments never last as opposed to something with solid grounds and historical evidence as a backing.
  4. The historian Bernard Lewis I remember was prosecuted I think in a private prosecution over Armenian Holocaust denial in France. I don't like Government regulating thought but there was a systematic genocide of the Armenians by the Ottomans and Churchill did label it a holocaust.
    But quite frankly hell will freeze over before the UK, US and Israel pass similar legislation.
  5. IMHO, everywhere you can be prosecuted for denying the Holocaust, you should be able to be prosecuted for denying the Armenian holocaust.
  6. I agree entirely. And for that reason, the pathetic laws against Nazi holocaust denyers should likewise be repealed.
  7. Of course, I support freedom of speech but something should be made in cases like this

8. The truth is its own best bodyguard; it doesn't need any help from the French police.

There is no reason to assume that civil servants as a group are more strongly dedicated to or more skilled in finding the truth than anyone else.

On the contrary, I can think of no class of institutions that as a group are more persistent in the willful dissemination of lies than the world's governments.