Armed trespass and all that jazz

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by wm1965, Jul 16, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. SPECIFICALLY REGARDING <12ft pb air rifles (i.e. non-FAC).

My understanding is:
    Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine.
    Trespassing on private land with an air weapon 3 months imprisonment and / or £2,500 fine.

Dumb question: I assume a public train counts as private land or failing that a public place so I would be buggered it I lugged it around. The air rifle would be in a slip bag.
  2. If you are entitled to carry it and the train/bus company is prepared to carry you then no problem. It's no different to carrying a HAZMAT tin of paint as a passenger, the driver does not need the qualification.
  3. By entitled you mean I have been granted permission by the landowner (i.e. train company). Else I fail in having permission, no?
  4. i used to take mine on the train everytime i used to go shooting, i even carried it home one night after i missed the last train, down the bypass. coppers stopped and even offered me a lift home as long as i didnt shoot them haha was the sweetest 6 mile drive ive ever been on
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Why would you be carrying a loaded air rifle in a public place anyway? (a train counts as a public place). Why not just ensure that there are no pellets/darts in it before you put it in the bag if you're getting on a train?
  6. Which gave them time to get a good view of you and check your address out at the same time.
  7. never asked for my address, just my first name which is odd, it was a PCP anyways so would take 5 minutes or so to get it ready to shoot. i never used to carry it loaded, always empty
  8. It wouldn't be loaded. Also those regulations are applicable whether it is loaded or not (even if you are not carrying ammo!).
  9. Implied permission certainly, if they permit you to travel with a weapon in a slip then they permit it, if they don't you get off.
  10. I have to say that I didn't for a moment consider that a professional user of firearms would even need to discuss this point.
  11. Mr_Fingerz
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I only asked in regard to this:

"Carrying a loaded Air-weapon in a public place 6 months imprisonment and / or £5,000 fine. "

I'm a tad busy right now, but I could dig out the various Firearms Acts and see what they actually say. I was not meaning to impugn your weapons handling skills.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. You have to be committing trespass in the first place (civil offence and none arrestable), being armed is only aggravating into a further/more serious offence (aggravated, still civil but arrestable by a constable only, armed- a criminal offence, arrestable by anyone) so the question is invalid.

If you have permission to be on the train/bus etc.. and the weapon is carried appropriately then there is no offence.

Having a weapon on private land without permission is an offence whether carried appropriately or not (ie you dont even need to have ammo, never mind loaded)
  14. I'm still very surprised non-FAC (<12ft lb) air rifles are covered by such stringent legislation given they're essentially powerful BB guns (OK a push I admit). I was hoping someone was to say: "ah, no, that's FAC only...". I had a look through the various Firearms Acts and amendments (1997) but couldn't readily see the underlying text for ARs

My ammo comment was an answer to a percieved question on the first page.

Thank ye.
  15. You need to know the definition of what a firearm is in law which has nothing to do with requiring a certificate to own or possess.