Armed Raid on Cough Barracks

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by EX_STAB, Jun 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From
    http://www.psni.police.uk/index/pg_police_museum/pg_academic_research/pg_armed_raid_on_cough.htm

Now the reason I haven't put this in Military History is because I thought it posed the question:

Could it happen today?

OPSEC mind! Don't encourage them!

2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Did they catch them??

I dont think it could happen as easily today, but i really dont think we can discuss it due to, as you say, opsec.

3. I haven't been able to find the beginning or ends of the story so don't know.

Perhaps a little discussion on here might prompt people to consider what would happen in their own units today. A very cheap exercise to run I think!

4. It didn't always work then. A similar attempt to steal weapons from St Lucia Barracks in Omagh (Depot of the Inniskilling Fusiliers) was foiled shortly after the above theft.

The IRA were spotted by a prisoner in the guard room who raised the alarm. The IRA were fired on and had to bail back over the barracks wall and escape into the town.

5. I'd like to know if he got remission of sentence :D

• Like Like x 2
  6. I'm sure there are plenty of nutjobs in the RIRA willing to pull such a stunt off today.

7. Depends. I suspect NI security is leaps and bounds better than that in the UK.

Before anyone kicks off i think thats common knowledge.

8. There is a rather embarrasing thread in the TA forum (one about beefing up TAC security) which actually tells people how to go about doing a simaler raid.

I pointed this out but not many people seemed to see the problem with posting "the gate to my TAC is always unlocked for the cadets on a wednesday night" after they had made there unit known in the forum on other threads.

Any terrorist with access the google has a tutorial on how to attack or steal from a TA centre.

9. Of course it could happen today (far to easily and scarily to think about), im not one of these who shouts OPSEC and PERSEC at the drop of a hat, obviously im not going to say the ins and outs of the proceedure, but its not hard to impersonate an officer/soldier to gain access to a camp especially in Germany, not to hard to convince a guard commander to let you have the keys and then drive the arms through the gates smiling at the poor 18year old lad on the front gate who's mind is on getting down town for a beer and a whore!

10. The 1956-1962 border campaign was planned well in advance. Raids at Felstead (Essex OTC school) in July 1953, Gough barracks, Armagh, in June 1954, and Arborfield on 11 August 1954, had gained guns and kudos, as well as life sentences for Donal Murphy, James Murphy and Joe Doyle,and eight years for Cathal Goulding, Sean MacStiophan and Manus Canning.

http://www.irishresistancebooks.com/internment/intern4.htm

11. Well done George, remember to check under your car (or mobility scooter).

• Like Like x 4
  12. Well PSNI will be so glad we've cleared that one up. Took a while.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Blimey! I was an arms storeman at Gough Barracks for four months in 1974. they never got any of mine!

14. It used to be a regular event for the IRA.

They nicked tons (literally) of weaponry, including a million rounds of .45" ammunition from the Irish Army in 1939. Most of it was recovered.
    Christmas Raid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think they later found the USA and Libya more reliable sources of supply whilst UK & Irish stores were better secured than in the old days.

Forty odd (very) years back, a PSI of my acquaintance wandered into a UK TA armoury and unknowingly set the alarm off. When he bimbled out a short time later, he found himself at the centre of a semi-circle of armed bastards, the local CID, all pointing Webleys at him. That was probably brave and/or unwise of them, considering the contents of the armoury. The alarms have probably been greatly improved since then.

http://youtu.be/Y4Us7ygIUII