Armed plod on routine foot patrols!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Oct 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just looked at the pic on the link, didn't think the Police used the Diemarco?? Wonder why the other has a G36?

To get back on thread, good. More bobbies on the beat is a winner and the fact that they can now match the criminals in terms of resources instantly in some cases all the better.
  2. So what...its been like that in other European countries for years...without having US-style cop versus bad-guy shoot outs!
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not quite the first time for armed police. Up until about 1954 plod routinely carried a pistol on foot patrol. But it was personal choice whether they did or not.
  4. GMP did this in the 1990's in Moss Side and Longsight, and as OFH says there was a time when PC's could opt to be armed in the outlying areas of the MPD at night. (see Mick Waldron's book London's Armed Police) also DPG do local footpatrols as well as Door Post Guarding.

5. Gun nerd mode on.... the photo caption states that the CO19 patrols will be carrying MP5s and Glocks. In the picture itself one guy is carrying a G36 and the other is carrying what looks like an M4 derivative. Maybe an HK416?
  6. Its not that uncommon here in North Wales.
    Week beofre last I say an armed plod (holstered pistol, Glock I think) stood at the roadside operating a radar speed trap.
    Personally I think they they persecute speeders a bit to heavily here and armed response to speeders is a little harsh.
    Last Christmas we had two plod with an MP5 and a G36(I think) wandering around outside a local shopping centre.
  7. I don't understand why the police need guns the Government banned guns so there can't be any gun crime, just like they banned carrying knives and now there's no knife crime.
  8. HK416 would be my guess too,as it doesn't look quite as a Diemaco.
  9. Now can we actually have some police (armed or otherwise) actually on foot patrols. Visisble deterrent and all that.
    Id like to know what the ROE are?
  10. Except it doesn't work, or at least not here in North Wales.
    Under Brunstrom crime soared in every area other than traffic, to soon to tell with the new Chief Constable but so far he shows no signs of changing North Wales Police policy of persecuting the motorist and ignoring all other crime.
  11. 18 Met cops with guns to cover the main areas of gun crime ie:

Hackney, Lambeth, Southwark,
    Haringey, Waltham Forest, Lewisham,
    Brent, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Islington,
    Greenwich, Ealing, Barking & Dagenham
    Hammersmith & Fulham, Enfield,
    Camden, Wandsworth, Redbridge,
    Croydon & Merton.

It's a start I suppose.
  12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I'm sure I saw plod with a minimi, and his mucker with a G36 cutting about at Heathrow last summer...
  13. they've been doing it in nottingham for a while now.
  14. every thing all pink and rose tinted where you live then?