Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Armed forces will be cut by up to 50% after GE under Tories says Cable

"And completely fail to deliver on a much vaunted promise to recruit the reserves back to 38,000 after being made to re show plans by the PM....."

I think that is the absolute crux of the matter. If Dave is re-elected and the Army fail to deliver what they promised, then they have reason to be afraid. Dave has invested a LOT of his own capital in getting the AR uplift, and I am left with the impression that failure will result in some very nasty conversations along the lines of

"since 2010 the RN and RAF have won me a war in Libya, given me the ability to achieve effect in Iraq, given me options for Syria and helped in me Sierra Leone among other places. The Army has given me multiple political headaches, and damaged my standing. Explain again why we need an army of 82000 when you've failed to deliver the success you promised you could do.'
You forgot to add that the RAF input has only cost him some stale cheese sandwiches.

FEASG

LE
"

"since 2010 the RN and RAF have won me a war in Libya, '

Ha Ha Ha Is there anyone out side the MB bubble that would fall for that!!!!! Op Elamy or what ever it was called proved that for once that bombing alone can win a war. For the enemy. It will be rememberd as nothing other than
Stratigic ineptiued with a vaneer of spin.

Ha Ha Ha Is there anyone out side the MB bubble that would fall for that!!!!! Op Elamy or what ever it was called proved that for once that bombing alone can win a war. For the enemy. It will be rememberd as nothing other than
At least it has no association with Wooton Basset. TBB has it, the perception of the public and the politicians is what counts. You know, those whose taxes pay for our armed forces and those who decide how the taxes will be spent.

S0I

LE

For the Politicians, it will be remembered as great TV talking head opportunity, lots of big bangs on TV, no body bags on TV.

Win-Win-Win

And what will the politicians be saying when we have to get involved for round two.
They'll cross that bridge when they come to it, anyway it'll be the other party that deals with it or their successors. Short term politicians give you short term politics. If they'd had any sense they wouldn't have touched it with a shitty stick.

Er. The enemy was Gaddafi. If having a scaffolding pole shoved up your fundamental orifice, surrounded by a group of wild-eyed locals hurling abuse, rocks and other items as they wait for you to expire from your wounds is winning, I suspect that dear old Muamar would've negotiated himself the 'dull no-score draw' option instead had he but realised...

If it becomes necessary to apportion blame, the politicians will blame Cameron for getting involved in the first place. One suspects that whatever they do, they're not going to turn round and say 'if only we'd had a larger army and sent it in to run the country, then things would have worked out so much better, just like they did in Afghanistan and Iraq'.

That's exactly how anyone with any understanding of the situation will remember it. What you've forgot is that individuals are intelligent, but people are idiots and those idiots forgot about Libya as soon as Dave waved goodbye and got on his plane at Benghazi.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

FEASG

LE
Er. The enemy was Gaddafi. If having a scaffolding pole shoved up your fundamental orifice, surrounded by a group of wild-eyed locals hurling abuse, rocks and other items as they wait for you to expire from your wounds is winning, I suspect that dear old Muamar would've negotiated himself the 'dull no-score draw' option instead had he but realised...

'.

As I understand things it was a bayonet they shoved up his arse. The end result was the same.

As to who the enemy were, is down to how you read it. Labour at the bequest of their BP lobbyists bring Gaddafi in from the cold. Come the Arab spring CMD and Haig seeing an opportunity to cosy up to Obama by backing the rebels. The trouble is the Haig calls it too soon in his desperate haste to play on the world stage, and as a consequence has to commit the RAF to support the French. As a result the whole place goes to Hell on a hand cart.

The only conciliation for CMD would have been the documents that were found that could see Jack Straw in court reference rendition, If any of you are stupid enough to think that Cameron will be privately calling it a great victory despite what is said publicly (along with other foreign policy victories like err Afghanistan) are deluded.

This on top of the fact that he was only stopped from doing exactly the same in Syria by a vote in parliament. Where we now find that we are bombing the other side.

The problem is we are a county of agendas, from politicians that look no further than the rewards of power to armed forces that promise to much in their own inter service funding fights. I don’t wish to denigrate the Bravery or skill of any of those that took part in Ops in Libya, But what happed there was a strategic fail (Just as many of the Ops I took part in were).

S0I

LE
The RAF and RN delivered effects that suited their political masters needs.
Libya allowed CMD to play at grown up Statesman for a day - Win.

Remind me how much we owe as a nation and the repayments needed to pay down that debt?
We will owe £1.8tn up from £800bn and approx. £60bn a year in interest payments (it was in the Wail yesterday). It apparently is the third largest spending government department after the NHS and Welfare (which is how they put it not me). That incidentally is more borrowed in a single term than every elected government since 1900, put together, not bad going when you consider we had to pay for WW1 & 2.

This is where the office of Budget responsibility (and not the BBC) came up with the 'lowest spending Government since the 1930's'. It is also the most politically bias government, ever when considering the amount of giveaway this government has given the top 5% of all earners and multi nationals who evade paying tax through fraudulent accounting.

Every time Gideon faced a potential rollicking in the press over say petrol increases, he always managed to find the money to cover the loss of tax that having to deal with the fuel duty escalator would impose, but did not. Between them Dave and his wing-man Gids, have managed to make, Sir Thomas Pathetic accounting guru for the planet wing-bang-bosh which went bust owning their tax man trillions, an economic noble prize winner.

And you lot worry about the Badger and Simply Ed (Balls) coming back to the helm.

Amateurs sheer bloody amateurs when compared with Call me Dave and the Colombian Dancing King.

FEASG

LE
The RAF and RN delivered effects that suited their political masters needs.
Libya allowed CMD to play at grown up Statesman for a day - Win.

Granted but sooner or later, even idiots like CMD et al will cotton on to the fact his VSOs are as strategically short sighted as him, and the OJAR express will come to an end. Still make hay while the sun shines.

Granted but sooner or later, even idiots like CMD et al will cotton on to the fact his VSOs are as strategically short sighted as him, and the OJAR express will come to an end. Still make hay while the sun shines.

You have more faith in them than I do. By the time he does either they've moved on or he has. We can't even plan strategically when it comes to supplying the energy required by our own island, as for long term geopolitical planning? All the best with that.

The only way this will change will be the rise of a credible threat (one requiring more that 6+ aircraft to solve) which would be recognised by all parties.

Gentlemen, I give you (again admittedly) the rise of the green crescent.

ImageUploadedByARRSE1419422680.479447.jpg

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

It is also the most politically bias government, ever when considering the amount of giveaway this government has given the top 5% of all earners and multi nationals who evade paying tax through fraudulent accounting.

Really ? So what do you call creating a 50% tax rate 3 WEEKS before a General Election Labour has no chance of winning outright ? Or wasting 700 plus hours on a bill that Bliar was happy to sprout nonsense on TV about but didn't have the balls to actually vote for ? Or pushing thro a bill that allowed Labour to make sure that the Central Office had complete control over who was sent to Europe as an MEP and broke the link between voters and MEPs (party lists) ?

BTW. I'd look at the rules the EU have forced upon us that prevent anyone from stopping Multi national companies juggling where profits are taxed and losses offset and who created the the literally tons of new tax rules first before blaming this bunch of no hopers.