Armed forces will be cut by up to 50% after GE under Tories says Cable

M

MotorBoat

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11292821/British-Army-will-become-largely-ceremonial-under-George-Osbornes-cuts-Vince-Cable-says.html

The British Army would become "largely ceremonial" if the Conservatives win a majority next election and implement their planned spending cuts, Vince Cable has said.

The Liberal Democrat Business Secretary said the Home Office budget would have to "roughly halve" as a result of further cutbacks outlined in George Osborne's Autumn Statement earlier this month.

Mr Cable characterised the Conservatives' plan for shrinking the size of the state as driven by "extreme" ideology and called it "very very foolish".

The comments are likely to heighten Coalition tensions and enrage Conservative cabinet ministers who publicly attacked the BBC's "hyperbolic" coverage of spending cuts recently outlined.

It comes as the independent Office for Budget Responsibility predicted the public sector would have to shrink to a size not seen since the 1930s to hit the Chancellor's budget deficit forecasts.

Mr Cable told BBC One's Andrew Marr Show that he would be "really worried" if the Conservatives were able implement the cuts outlined after winning the next election.

"There’s a table in the Autumn Statement which suggests that if those plans were realised we would roughly halve the total spending on the Home Office, i.e., the police, on the defence services, which would become largely ceremonial," Mr Cable said.

"We would be almost halving the spending of local governments on areas like social care, let alone all the things that I and my colleagues are doing around training and science. It would be devastating and it would be ideologically-driven and I would be very strongly opposed to it."

Mr Cable, one of the most common critics of the Conservatives from inside Government, said there are "big differences" in the way the Liberal Democrats wanted to cut the deficit compared to the Tories.

He said Mr Osborne's plan "destroys public services in the way we do them", adding that "just continuing" cuts "on ideological extreme grounds is very, very foolish".

M

MotorBoat

We'll be lucky to be able to get a single brigade into the field if this came to pass, hopefully just pre-election posturing by Cable

"There’s a table in the Autumn Statement which suggests that if those plans were realised we would roughly halve the total spending on the Home Office, i.e., the police, on the defence services, which would become largely ceremonial," Mr Cable said.
When did HO assume responsibly for the 'defence services'?

Chef

LE
The Lib Dems slagging off their bigger partners? Again? Quel surpris.

Be the same Lib Dems who swore blind that tuition fees wuldn't go up on their watch?

File under

'Politicos promise top brick off the chimney to get re-elected'.

As Whiskeybreath says; 'Ignore'.

M

MotorBoat

The Lib Dems slagging off their bigger partners? Again? Quel surpris.

Be the same Lib Dems who swore blind that tuition fees wuldn't go up on their watch?

File under

'Politicos promise top brick off the chimney to get re-elected'.

As Whiskeybreath says; 'Ignore'.
Indeed, the Green's should come in ahead of the Lib's next year

jim30

LE
Would this be the same Mr Cable who has, allegedly, acquired a reputation for not necessarily being a champion of the armed forces or UK defence industry during his time in Government.

Cable does really resemble in features, the rat that he actually is.

A loser who is best ignored on everything he says.

Just another lie from a politician, nothing to see here, move along please.

What are the lib dems offering?

A complete ban on the military and a mobile counselling team to sort out the worlds problems?

Is he still against a replacement for trident to save £3billion a year?

And in other news; a boy who fights pirates for a living is being sought in connection with the kidnapping of two London school children.

it would have been better if "dave" had gone back to the voters than leaving us to suffer 5 years of hot air and shit from the libdems,the idea of a snp/libdem/labour goverment in 2015 sends a shiver down my spine,and looking at booking out the mess webley.

I have no marker in place for Cable, but Defence is not a ring fenced budget and cuts are highly likely; have the Conversatives on several occasions said they will maintain 2% funding of Defence in the next Parliament or not?

The interviews I have seen it is: not.

They side stepped the question by repeating that they would maintain spend until the end of this Parliament.

Furthermore, several posters on this site have intimated that in their dealings with MB they have been led to believe that there will be more cuts to the Army.

walrusboy

War Hero
What are the lib dems offering?

A complete ban on the military and a mobile counselling team to sort out the worlds problems?

Is he still against a replacement for trident to save £3billion a year?

The Lib Dems will be offering absence after the next election.

There will be further cuts as the public sector "pot" gets ever smaller. Assets that keep us close to the top table will be ok. But politicians aren't sympathetic to nostalgia or sentimentality. They don't care about badges or flags. Or centuries of history.

Expect pain.

Latest Threads