Armed forces veterans to be given priority NHS treatment

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bravo2nothing, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't see this anywhere else, please move, delete, etc if I've been a mong.

Daily Hate

Not sure how much 'clout' this card would have. Certainly work wonders in the US though.

2. About bloody time

3. Not sure how i would feel about que jumping, not doubt would not have second thoughts if it was something serious.

Have to applaud the issue of a veterans card, the comment that servicemen carry one all their careers and then have to hand it back struck a chord. They are well overdue!

4. Are you joking? Do you know how much of the queue are immigrants that have come over to take advantage of the NHS??!! Actually....I don't know either, but I reckon it's more than a handfull!

"Serious" treatment is given ASAP on the NHS.

5. The NHS is already supposed to do this, all it needs is for your GP to mention in his referral letter that you are an an ex serviceman or still serving, The NHS managers that sift the letters are then supposed to give you priority. It doesnt always happen.

Like my ex 25 mile sniper who was not surprisingly somewhat hard of hearing, aged 89 they saw him pretty quickly for his hearing test but was then told he had to go on a waiting list for a digital hearing aid. Currently 8 years in my area. oh, how we laughed when he came back to tell me :cry:

He got one in the end.

6. Why has it taken this long?
    At last something they deserve.

But just wait for the uproar about queue jumping...

7. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

A none story for those who are now out as it looks as if those in need now will be at the back of the queue with the order of issue being those who leave in 2010 and then working backwards.

It appears I could be dead before I get my Virgin Holidays discount.

8. Brilliant.

When I get it I lay the following challenge down....

Jim Shortt I'll show you my Veterans Card when I get it if you can show me yours :D

9. There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding, hope this clarifies, (Doubt it as it is from the MOD)

Report from Press Association Sun/Mon.

The Government is considering plans to issue special veterans identity cards to millions of former members of the armed forces, the Ministry of Defence has said.

Kevan Jones has backed plans to issue ID cards to ex-service personnel

The cards would help ex-servicemen and women get priority NHS treatment, access to housing and discounts on public transport.

Minister for Veterans Kevan Jones said the Government needed "to make it happen".

He told the Independent: "We will provide veterans' ID cards so the person can say 'I have served in the services' and get priority access to treatment."

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "We are actively investigating the options for the introduction of an ID card for veterans that could guarantee identity thereby helping to secure access to services and discounts."

It is believed as many as four million people would be eligible to join the scheme, which could be introduced next year.

Similar systems in the US and France offer subsidised travel and discounts from private companies