Armed forces personnel complete Hajj

I recall from my time in the tropics, pilgrims who had performed the trip to Mecca were allowed to dye their hair (or at least the front part,) ginger.
Better than the T-shirt, I suppose.

Clearly equally peaceful and soothing to those British soldiers who are of the Muslim faith?

I'm not sure if your issue is with payment at public fund to attend a religious event, British soldiers of the Muslim faith, or the religion of Islam as a whole.

There's even this lot for persons who choose not to express a religious opinion

I thought that the pilgrimage for non religious military personnel was to the Balearic Islands.

We got some stonking handmade carpets in Aden from Hajj attendee's. I don't know if it is still done but, back in the days when Britain had an empire the locals paid their way to the Hajj by selling carpets to Brit squaddies and oil company employee's. They used to start their trek with a few carpets rolled up and on their backs and sell one whenever they reached a european infested location to pay their way on the next leg of their route.

As an FYI: I found out years later that handmade carpets bought in the middle east/north africa and turkey would increase in value 8 times if sold in europe and 12 times if sold in the US.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
A complete load of utter complete bollocks, get em back home and up on Sennybridge!

What happened to the old days when you were obliged to attend the garrison church parade regardless of what sky pixie you believed in or even if you didn’t believe in one at all! :)
Or stand outside the church , sorry , “Place of worship” in your number twos in the rain . Happy days not

Tbf, I think the army does need to try something different to help recruit more from the different Muslim communities. Between doing nothing & leaving the Army's relationship with Muslims on Arrse to be controlled by RoyalGreenJacket, you can see why there's a bit of a problem.

The RAF having been running adverts in Urdu for years on the desi channels.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The RAF having been running adverts in Urdu for years on the desi channels.
If that's the case, are Drill Instructors supposed to learn giving drill commands in Urdu too?

There's the makings of a hell of a Flashman novel in there, perhaps with great great granpaw McAuslan as his batman?

Mecca is by Saudi law a city only open to Muslims.

The MOD is virtue signalling about visiting a fundamentally racist city.
Mecca is where white Christians play bingo, about time Saudi's recognised that

I wonder if they had to use Annual Leave for this soiree, or was it classed as a duty?

I imagine one of the benefits of this trip would have been, whilst ongoing, a significant reduction in sickness absence and Service Complaints. I believe the MoD factored this in to the relevant Business Case as part of the CBA.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
What do you reckon...
You know when course instructors say "There`s no such thing as a daft question........."

Guess I asked it.

On stand-by.....
There was always bound to be some serious talent on a thread like this.

We've already had the "Saudi is racist" from the "Islam is not a race" merchants.

I make dua that RGJ turns up soon & demands that the MoD sends a crusader delegation to Jerusalem to keep things equal.

There was always bound to be some serious talent on a thread like this.

We've already had the "Saudi is racist" from the "Islam is not a race" merchants.

I make dua that RGJ turns up soon & demands that the MoD sends a crusader delegation to Jerusalem to keep things equal.
Worked last time.

I can only remember a disturbing lack of faith in our lord Jesus at the battalion crimbo church parade, asking 3 Para to sing carols in tune was perhaps beyond a miracle .

Latest Threads