Armed Forces Pension Group (AFPG)

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by airspeedalive, Aug 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AFPG was formed in the early 90's as a result of the then Tory government's failure to pay pro-rata pensions to former military personnel who retired prior to 5th.April 1975.
    As a result of this perverse and discriminatory policy, many former retired members of the UK armed forces are forced to make ends meet by applying for benefits.
    A petition numbering close to 200,000 names was recently handed in to 10, Downing Street highlighting this continued discrimination.
    Present serving members of the UK armed forces could add weight to this argument by adding their names to the petition. Please download a petition form from: http://www.afpginfo/ and get your fellow comrades to sign it, then forward to: Colin Challen MP, House of (Timidity & Inaction) Commons, London, SW1A 0AA
    Thank you for your support,
    with fraternal greetings,
    airspeed alive :(

2. You'd receive a better responce if:

a) The posted link worked &

b) If the petition remained online (people are too lazy to post via conventional mail)

3. I think this is the intended link:

Armed Forces Pension Group

AFPG are a good bunch, doing an excellent job of campaigning on a difficult issue:

Although neither myself nor BAFF are involved with that pre-1975 service pensions issue, I've been to an AFPG regional meeting which was extremely well attended and well run, with an MP present.

Re an online petition, AFPG do make good use of the internet but their target membership by definition all left the service before April 1975, and there are difficulties in running an online petition side by side with one on paper. As mentioned by the first poster they've already had photo opportunities delivering bundles of petitions to 10 Downing St, something you can't do in quite the same way with an online petition. I am sure fingers is right in saying that present serving personnel are more likely to respond to an online petition.