Armed forces Pension for Rejoiners????

Cj1412

Crow
Hi all,

So I left the Army in 2008 and took my lump sum (AFPS75) and lived happily ever after for the next 11yrs. However now I have been offered a job again in the Regular Services (at the age of 51) and in the very bland contract I was sent from APC oil just states that I will be going onto AFPS15.

So I have called DBS a few times today and still cannot get a confirmed answer from them explaining what will happen with my pension. So I get that AFPS75 will freeze and I will go onto the new scheme AFPS15.

But they cannot give me a answer if I have to pay some of my Lump sum back, but tell me that I cannot earn more then when I left - even though im going into a higher paid job then I left!

So can anyone shed a bit of light please, I have heard that after 5yrs of leaving you will not have to pay back anything and that when you leave at 60 you will receive both 75 and 15 as separate pensions?

So could anyone give a helping hand please?

I don't know the answer, because I'm not a G1 lizard, but have you tried the MOD Pension Claculator?

IIRC, you can enter breaks in service to see what it spits out. If I were sensible, I'd have thought that your previous lump sum would be deductible from a future lump sum, but I don't know, because the G1 mongs who decide this sort of stuff will probably thought up a more punitive, convoluted and ambivalent policy.

ExREME.TECH

War Hero
Hi all,

So I left the Army in 2008 and took my lump sum (AFPS75) and lived happily ever after for the next 11yrs. However now I have been offered a job again in the Regular Services (at the age of 51) and in the very bland contract I was sent from APC oil just states that I will be going onto AFPS15.

So I have called DBS a few times today and still cannot get a confirmed answer from them explaining what will happen with my pension. So I get that AFPS75 will freeze and I will go onto the new scheme AFPS15.

But they cannot give me a answer if I have to pay some of my Lump sum back, but tell me that I cannot earn more then when I left - even though im going into a higher paid job then I left!

So can anyone shed a bit of light please, I have heard that after 5yrs of leaving you will not have to pay back anything and that when you leave at 60 you will receive both 75 and 15 as separate pensions?

Did you do 22?

Yep did 23yrs
You will not have to pay any of the lump sum back, but if you are in receipt of a full Army Pension, some of that may have to be abated, dependent upon what your new wage is going to be.
I received my lump sum (and immediate Pension) in 2011 on leaving the Regular Army at age 55.
When I went back in on FTRS 4 years later there was no requirement to pay back any of the lump sum. My Pension, however, took a big hit, as I couldn’t earn more than I had on previous service.
My full Army Pension, plus an FTRS element was restored in full when I finally retired last August.
Good luck!

Hi all,

@Forces Pension Society should be able to help

oldfecker

Clanker
Do no reley on advice given here. If we give bad advice you could be substantially out of pocket (financially).

A few hundred quid paid for professional advice could save you 10s of thousands. If a professional and insured advisor gets it wrong, you have a legal redress. Listen to us, and for the sake of a small investment, you’r on your own.

I re-joined in 2014. the rules have kept changing. My experiences and circumstances may not be the same as yours.

Paid for advice is what you need if making a life changing descision.

Last edited:

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Hi all,

You are joining a different scheme so your lump sum is safe. You will, however, be subject to abatement. If you need an article on abatement, sent me a PM with you email address and I will send it to you.

Forces Pension Society

Sponsor
Sponsor
Just to be absolutely clear, the reply above is about the AFPS 75 pension commencement lump sum (usually called a Terminal Grant). Any one leaving with AFPS 05 EDP benefits who then rejoins risks losing some or all of the EDP lump sum.

If someone on AFPS75 rejoins after retiring from an Open Engagement, then goes onto AFPS15. When that person leaves again, will they get the pension75 paid in every month like they did when they retired the first time then?

Latest Threads