Armed Forces Paying additional Tax in Scotland - who chooses place of residence?

This years pay award has been put back to September.
When I looked at the page on dii on Wednesday last, it stated that, as of 16 May (that days date) the position was unchanged from the previous announcement some time ago, that the award would be late, but without giving any timescale. I'm not sure if that date changes daily, but if your September dit is correct, it can only have come out in the last few days.

Don't employers collect PAYE on behalf of HMRC? Therefore no sharing of information is required.
You are correct BUT all the employer does is apply the tax code they are notified by HMRC which is where this problem starts as in many mainly Army cases they will not have been notified by the victim, sorry taxpayer, of their move to a Scottish address.
When you first join the Services notify HMRC of your new job and give them your address, normally your training depot after that it is up to the individual to notify changes of address.

You are correct BUT all the employer does is apply the tax code they are notified by HMRC which is where this problem starts as in many mainly Army cases they will not have been notified by the victim, sorry taxpayer, of their move to a Scottish address.
When you first join the Services notify HMRC of your new job and give them your address, normally your training depot after that it is up to the individual to notify changes of address.
I'm sure we were reminded of the need to keep HMRC informed of our Main Residence when the Scottish Taxpayer became a thing. This was promulgated on orders, but must have come from above, possibly the same din or whatever I mentioned previously.

I'm sure we were reminded of the need to keep HMRC informed of our Main Residence when the Scottish Taxpayer became a thing. This was promulgated on orders, but must have come from above, possibly the same din or whatever I mentioned previously.
And I’m sure that for lots of young infantrymen their first priority on arriving in Scotland will be to sit down and write to HMRC! @Joe_Private were any sanctions mentioned for those who failed to notify the tax man?

And I’m sure that for lots of young infantrymen their first priority on arriving in Scotland will be to sit down and write to HMRC! @Joe_Private were any sanctions mentioned for those who failed to notify the tax man?
No, no sanctions (other than as would apply to any member of the civilian population who failed to do the same). And for the young infantryman, those around him whether they be unit admin or, as we now call them, his line managers, have a responsibility to draw his attention to this.

It would be interesting to hear from current Unit HR in Scotland whether there is any action taken to encourage soldiers upon arrival at their new unit to register with HMRC. Will 51 Bde SPS be checking what action units take. What about the dark and light blue services, are they taking the same action?

Latest Threads