Armed Forces Memorial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jack-daniels, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You can even put in your friends details into the memorial section and they will come up, I'm sat here doing that and it's fcuking sad, but them I am mullered. RIP all my mates on that wall.

2. Great project, thanks for advertising it. It was the first I had heard of it :( but have just pledged my little bit :D

Come on guys, easy to donate online and it was payday last week.

3. How much are they short? The web site was last updated 14th Feb, anybody know?

4. Thanks for posting the link. This was the first I had heard of this excellent project.

One statistic sticks out a mile and really emphasises the need for this memorial

"16,000 members of the Armed Forces have been killed on duty in the 60 years since the end of the Second World War"

I had no idea that there were so many. :( That should be a reminder to those who believe that serving in UK Forces should be treated no different to other civil jobs.

I heard a few years ago that a school mate was killed on duty, and indeed I found him on the roll of honour and now know where he lies. I gave a suitable donation.

They are about a million pounds short of the target now.

5. This was also mentioned last week but under the 'Charities and Welfare' forum.

6. I'm sad too, being able to do that really brings it home.

donation done.

Thanks for posting this.

7. I'll be giving a donation as soon as I can, just a bit brassic right now.
    Was going to put my mates name down but he's already there.
    God rest ya Rich, stand down Rifleman

8. I saw on tv that they were a little behind schedule for the grand opening due to flooding on the site, but they were hoping to make up lost time

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

This is the first I'd heard of this. Mods can we make this one a sticky?

Donation sent.

10. I remember hearing about this years ago but thought it ended up binned. I had no idea that was actually being built. Wheres all those sculptures going to go, there not in the aerial view. Its getting opened next Friday by HRH herself, really hope they put it on the tv live, but so far looks like it wont even get a mention past 'brief 4th story on news 24'.
    Its definatly a well made and decent memorial by the looks of it so far.

11. Bumpity Bump

12. It will be a truely amazing memorial - I went to see it the other month and still being built so only saw from a distance but still really impressive

13. Bump, and donated to this worthy project. Nice to know that all our work is going to be rewarded