Armed Forces ID

After a member of the family repeatedly kept getting refused to get his army id accepted in shops and pubs, I wrote to the Prime Minister and had a moan. I have had a letter back from the MOD at Whitehall to say that Armed forces ID has been added to the Home Office Website as an acceptable form of ID as it displays the three criteria required, a holographic mark, dob and photo. The MOD has written to retailers and organisations to filter this information through but it is taking a while for them to disseminate through to its staff. If you are refused, ask to speak to a manager and ask them to look on the Home Office website where it will clearly state that Armed Forces ID is acceptable along with Driving Licences, Passports etc.

We all need to push this now as so many trainees have their licences and passports retained while they are training or are packed away as they are on operations.

elovabloke

ADC
Traders can accept what they want. Me feels that someone is on the blag for cut price goodies here.

And its a bad idea to go around flashing a MOD 90 in public. It stays at the back of the wallet out of the way! If he has a driving license then use that! If not, then tell him to get driving lessons!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
I took it for granted that some twonk in uniform, with a funny accent and dragging around an SLR was Army. But in future I will ask for ID.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I took it for granted that some twonk in uniform, with a funny accent and dragging around an SLR was Army. But in future I will ask for ID.
If he's dragging round an SLR, he's at least 20 years too late as anyone serving now will never have used one of them in anger or possibly even seen one unless it's in a film.

Dunno about the Home Office or MOD having put anything out, but there is this:

Means of Identification (Licensing)

6. David Mowat (Warrington South) (Con): What recent representations he has received on the acceptance by licensed premises of his Department’s form 90 as a means of identification. [45701]
The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence (Mr Andrew Robathan): Since this Government came into office, the Ministry of Defence has received a number of letters from Members of Parliament, including my hon. Friend, and from the public concerning the use of MOD form 90 as a means of identification for non-official purposes. I am delighted to confirm that we have now agreed to a change in policy, allowing service personnel to use their service identity card as proof of age, and have written to the relevant trade associations encouraging their members to accept it.
David Mowat: I thank the Minister for the answer and for the support that he has given my constituent, ex-Coldstream Guard Lance Reah, in his campaign on the matter over the past year. Does my hon. Friend agree that the change will have a big impact on the morale of our soldiers, and that the fact that the Opposition failed to make any progress on the matter in 13 years demonstrates that their actions do not match their words?
Mr Robathan: I can confirm to my hon. Friend that when I was serving in the Coldstream Guards it was a matter of some upset when young-looking soldiers who were prepared to lay their lives on the line were denied entry to pubs. I pay tribute to my hon. Friend for his campaign, and I am particularly pleased to see that I am on the front of “Warrington Matters” in connection with it. I do not think the photograph of me is very flattering, though.
from House of Commons Hansard Debates for 14 Mar 2011 (pt 0001) (search for "mod form 90" to jump to the right place -- it's a long page!)

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
If he's dragging round an SLR, he's at least 20 years too late as anyone serving now will never have used one of them in anger or possibly even seen one unless it's in a film.
Very wrong! We didn't get the SA80 until 1993 in 7 Sigs. I bet there are quite a few people in the army who were already serving then, and a lot more who just wish they got to have a go on that magnificent piece of limb/head removing equipment.