Armed forces help with accomadation?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Billboard, Sep 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When you leave the forces are you helped to get a flat or house?

2. I wouldn't have thought so. I figured it was a case of putting money aside for when you leave yourself

3. In what respect ? Members of the forces can apply for LSAP to get a foothold on a mortgage, you need to be clearer of when you mean getting out, after time served or after signing off.

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Are you f*ck!
    When I left the RAF thru redundency,I had to go on the council waiting list to wait up to 7 years before I could get one of their places.(Despite my family living here & I was on the electorial role)
    HOWEVER....the private rental place I was in was damp so on getting a doctors letter I was able to 'jump the queue'.
    (I have illnes from Granby)

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

When I asked at York council they looked at me as if I'd come from another planet
    According to the woman "it was your choice to leave York"

Never did get one bought a house a couple of years later

There was plenty of 16 year old girls who needed the flats anyway

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Billboard,
    pm hitback,He's the chap with the gen.

7. Your choice. Large lump sum in your hand and a planned exit from the RAF should not end up with anyone going for social housing. That would smack of a lack of planning.

8. There are certain circumstances (few and far between) where the RBL will help ex-servicemen and women but this is not for anyone leaving under 'normal' circumstances. When a friend of mine was discharged and diagnosed with PTSD they helped him no end. As I understand it, they may be willing to help you with some furnishings if you get your own property and don't have the means to raise the money for said items.

I got out three years ago and already had everything sorted, it's worth planning or at least starting to plan your life 'outside' within your last 6 months, time flies.

9. Lets not get personal here, who knows what circumstances a serviceman or women is in when they leave the forces (debt,divorce etc).

As a young tom you should plan ahead and not bank (too much) on the final pension (I too am a little guilty of this). A 20 -25 year savings plan (not an endowment) will go a long way but remember 22 years is a long time and what the market value is now will not be same in the future (be bold).

Myself and a number of colleagues missed the boat when it came to property and the financial boon that followed and as we speed to resettlement we now face some difficult and expensive choices.

Hindsight, if only the QMs' issued it out!

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

No it was'nt.It was during Options For Change in the mid 90's! And I got f*ck all money because they done it when I was due to sign on again

11. Billboard, there's been a lot of discussion about this on these boards.
    "Shelter", the housing and homelessness charity will be able to advise you. Depends on your circumstances, and health, when you leave.

There are alot of well informed folks treading these boards, but a bit of research and planning by your good self, will help.

Homeless Guide

Bottom line, you will need a home to go to if you haven't sorted it already.

Also: JSHAO
    and TASSLE amongst others, for Singlies