Armed forces get free education

BBC Reporting News of the World

Armed forces 'get free education'

Service personnel are to be allowed to study for a qualification free of charge after they end their duty with the armed forces, it has been reported.

According to the News of the World, personnel who complete six years service in the Army, Royal Navy or RAF will qualify for the scheme.

The government will pay tuition fees to study for GCSEs, A-levels, university degrees or other qualifications.

The measure is thought to be in Thursday's Armed Forces Command Paper.
Good news or placating the current manning / op tempo issues?

JS - kinda weakens the value of them I guess.

I wonder how much drip, drip of Thursday's Command Paper will find its way into the media between now and then?

Good to see Data Security being taken seriously again!

:) Agreed! :)

Also what I would like to know will be what this "Education" fund will cover, because how are you supposed to live if it is only covering fees for what could be long term, full time courses?

Jimima

Correct me if im wrong...

But its free education after you leave the forces?

Isnt the idea to try and retain troops, not encourage them to leave!

Majorpain said:

Another example of the government thinking up short term solutions for long term problems. Gits'!

Majorpain said:

That was my next thought, if this is really true then it shows a real ignorance as to how to solve this issue.

Jimima

Of course when you leave (especially if you are married) putting yourself into a full time course of education is simply an impossibility for most. Perhaps if they backed it up with a bursary it would have been a better gesture.

I think this is just Enhanced Learning Credits, and the Government are spinning the news (as usual) to make themselves sound caring. I may even buy the NoTW tomorrow. Stranger things have happened!

Majorpain said:

It's open to service personnel after completing 6 years service (LINK). Given that you can discharge as of right after 3 it seems like a reasonable incentive for Junior Ranks to stay in that bit longer - maybe long enough to make a career seem worthwhile?

smartascarrots said:
It's open to service personnel after completing 6 years service (LINK). Given that you can discharge as of right after 3 it seems like a reasonable incentive for Junior Ranks to stay in that bit longer - maybe long enough to make a career seem worthwhile?
That was my thinking also SAC. Though im surprised nobody else picked up on this little gem which shows some nice clear thinking (I hope rather than votes in mind).

Mr Kirby also said if a service member who qualifies for the scheme is killed, then the credit for having free tuition will pass to their spouse.

Pacifist_Jihadist said:
smartascarrots said:
That was my thinking also SAC. Though im surprised nobody else picked up on this little gem which shows some nice clear thinking (I hope rather than votes in mind).

Mr Kirby also said if a service member who qualifies for the scheme is killed, then the credit for having free tuition will pass to their spouse.
Jimima_Shark said:
So what does that mean ELCs and SLCs are for?
COUGH almost what I said! SLCs available throughout your time served or ELCs even after you leave which increases after 8 years of service.

Edited to highlight the point you were making which makes me look like a fool! Not for the first time.

smartascarrots said:
Majorpain said:

SAC,

I thought it was a minimum of 4 years now?

If this is for real then think this could be a good initiative. As you know the average degree fees (whether for an OU or any other part-time degree) are about £9000. Of course, you still have to eat and pay your mortgage..... It takes about 4 or 5 years to do a part-time degree, which pretty much guarantees getting an extra 5 or 6 years out of someone's service.

Also for widowed spouses I think this could be particularly beneficial. Having done my 9 moves in 9 years of an army marriage I can confirm that it's bloody difficult to stay in reasonably paid employment, if not impossible. At the end of that time you're x many years older, x many years behind the career trajectory and often have school-aged children at home. This could be exactly what widowed spouses could need to get them back near some kind of parity, particularly as they are going to be the only bread winner. And spookily having just completed my 9th year of being a single parent and sole bread winner I can confim that that is also bloody hard work!

Having said all that, good as this offer is, it won't meet everyone's needs, bbut it's a good one nevertheless.

This is similar to the US "GI Bill" which gives education to soldiers after a fixed period of service. A previous version of it was proposed back in the late 90s but the men in the suits from the Treasury blew it out of the water on cost grounds and we ended up with SLCs and ELCs as the cheap alternative.

Perhaps (finally) someone is listening to the likes of Gen Dannett etc

Seems pretty sensible to me - say you come in at 16, do 6 years and go off to uni at 22 - thats you set up nicely - good for recruiting of younger people saying - come and do 6 years, get some skills and experience and then free tuition at Uni at the end - by 26/27 you'll be far ahead of your peers.

Other question - are there any retention allowances or bonuses that kick in at the 8 or 9 year point? By setting this up for 6 years you suddenly make it much easier to make the case to do another 2 or 3 if there is a further allowance waiting a bit further along.

Will this offer be open to the TA as well or will they get stabbed in the back again?

Considering that a large proportion of the TA (compared to the Regs) have degrees or are studying/serving the cost won't be excessive.

chimera said:
This is similar to the US "GI Bill" which gives education to soldiers after a fixed period of service. A previous version of it was proposed back in the late 90s but the men in the suits from the Treasury blew it out of the water on cost grounds and we ended up with SLCs and ELCs as the cheap alternative.

Perhaps (finally) someone is listening to the likes of Gen Dannett etc
Agreed Chimera - this was my initial take on it. My concern here, is that this will see the phasing out of SLC's and ELC's and that the transistion will be handled to the MOD's usual high change standards. Those caught between the two, will have to be managed in their learning very carefully, in order not to impact on any work they have already undertaken in the interim.

Certainly from the US forces that I have served, many were serving for the educational packages and other benefits from the GI Bill. Devil in the detail. Sounds good - what will be delivered, and how?

Just think - fast forward ten years, this could be just the thing that Nightrained needs. :)

To save him the search, he can click here. This of course depends on whether he is picked up for his CoW in the next 18 months. :D :D