Armed forces (Flexible Working) Bill: secondary legislation policy statement

Seems a good idea in principle.

Fiver says it's badly implemented.

JPA is merely a tool, it dictates nothing but rather reflects the rules outlined in JSP's etc.
Absolutely agree - if anything it is a tool that can hamper the progressive thought process. It cannot run subjective boards, and the age old 6 figure officer regimental numbers had to be changed to 8 figure ones. Largely bought off the shelf, we had to adapt to it rather than it to us.
It will be interesting to see how JPA works with flexible working, no doubt an expensive patch will have to be purchased, otherwise "Computer say 'No'."

Be just like the Belgians in no time.

Absolutely agree - if anything it is a tool that can hamper the progressive thought process. It cannot run subjective boards, and the age old 6 figure officer regimental numbers had to be changed to 8 figure ones. Largely bought off the shelf, we had to adapt to it rather than it to us.
It will be interesting to see how JPA works with flexible working, no doubt an expensive patch will have to be purchased, otherwise "Computer say 'No'."
I say again, JPA dictates how we manage our HR as JAMES does equipment.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

I say again, JPA dictates how we manage our HR as JAMES does equipment.

... and it shouldn't.

I say again, JPA dictates how we manage our HR ...
Don't you remember the workarounds that had to be used because JPA didn't have the necessary functionality to implement the rules? JPA dictates how we record our management of HR, not how we implement it, though it will doubtless be used as an excuse by those who need one.

I know that all the youngsters have eight figure numbers but the old and bold officers have retained the 5 series six figure numbers without JPA melting. So, why it had to be changed, I do not know.

Given that flexi-working is already in JPA, I doubt it'll get in the way.

I think - connectivity problems aside - JPA is an increasingly powerful and useful tool. What it won't stop is the Army's habit of seeing its people off as much as possible.

Don't you remember the workarounds that had to be used because JPA didn't have the necessary functionality to implement the rules? JPA dictates how we record our management of HR, not how we implement it, though it will doubtless be used as an excuse by those who need one.
Time spent on workarounds is time the could be spent managing. We've reduced the amount of workarounds because we changed the way we do business in line with JPA. As an HR tool it is not FFP.

Given that flexi-working is already in JPA, I doubt it'll get in the way.

I think - connectivity problems aside - JPA is an increasingly powerful and useful tool. What it won't stop is the Army's habit of seeing its people off as much as possible.
What functionality does the JPA flexible working tool offer?

Time spent on workarounds is time the could be spent managing. We've reduced the amount of workarounds because we changed the way we do business in line with JPA.
You are obviously not thinking of the workarounds I am, where the long-standing rules most definitely were not changed to accommodate JPAs inabilities, but rather the reverse is true.

You are obviously not thinking of the workarounds I am, where the long-standing rules most definitely were not changed to accommodate JPAs inabilities, but rather the reverse is true.
Problems everywhere. I can't comment about SPS use of it but as a man manager it does very little for me. Hence the use of uncontrolled spreadsheets everywhere, TAFMIS, paper P Files in APC, an absolute nightmare at reporting time...

Tradition, old boy. Tradition. Seeing our people off is what gave us an empire.
And burning down messes in high jinks.

Or is that a different tradition?