Armed Forces Day & Remembrance Day

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by REMEwok, May 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question to ask what the correct thing to wear is?

I served in Royal Observer Corp (under RAF Command) for 3 years upto 91 and also 3 Years in TA REME upto 2006.... so I have a veterans badge which I wear with a poppy to remember the lost and fallen during the above days of remembrance....

I am a member of the ROC Association and have been invited to join them at the Chatham Dockyard Armed Forces day events....so my dilemma/question is....what tie do I wear (ROC, RAF or REME)? and which pin badges etc. I have a Veterans Badge, RAFA, ROC & REME Assoc but would look a right Tw@T wearing them all...

I am not really into wearing a beret...but if I get old and wrinkly one day...might need something to keep my head warm...so what cap badge etc....

Cheers, E

2. I suggest you swerve, and wear the tie of a service charity. SSAFA, as it's tri-service, would be my choice, but there don't seem to be any in their online store (though perhaps some will appear in time). Perhaps ABF?

3. Good Idea... I was thinking Royal British Legion perhaps...but that doesnt really do it for me really and doesnt mean much to me....

I guess I really reflect on my time in the REME (TA) as more meaningful than my younger years in the Royal Observer Corps (ROC) but it was my eldest Son that asked about my past etc. hence got a few skeletons out of the closet....

I was probably the youngest serving Observer in the ROC before it was disbanded and as the majority have reached senior years it will probably be left to me to carry the memory etc.

I even forgot about the whole blazer thing...I don't have one yet....as not needed for the Association Social Events of either REME or ROC...

Has anyone else needed to deal with the same issue? Cheers, E

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

As you've been invited by the ROCA, wouldn't it be polite to wear their tie?

You could wear the REME Assoc badge to balance it.

5. Cheers Gremlin, ROCA do not have a tie...I have found a ROC Tie on the net so shall buy that...as you say if worn with REME Assoc Badge...job done... E