Armed Forces Day - A Helpful Diversion

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by meridian, Jun 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Am I being cynical or is this a helpful diversion to draw focus away from the continued debacle in Afghanistan, chronic underfunding and an impending defence review which we all know will be a series of capability cuts dressed up in a strategic reviews clothes.

Lets not worry about anything serious, the masses love a good party

I wonder how much it costs the MoD to run the day, the media and all the activity around it.

No doubt lots of good awareness and charidee stuff but what a load of shite

2. Government sponsered begging to save the Chancellor paying for the care of injured squaddys

3. Gotta say, a bit cynical there Meridien, I was at City Hall (London) today, it was a nice ceremony, loads of schoolkids got the teachers to stop and watch, at the end, the old guys came over and chatted to them. (there as the unofficial Hols4H reporter, got a place in the press area due to the t-shirt) :D

4. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

on the other hand, i remember more than one thread on here a few yearas ago where people comp.lained about lack of public apppreciation for the forces. Now there is a very public way of it being shown, and we criticise it...

5. Sorry but I have always been a little cynical as to why the Labour party started Vets day/ Armed Forces day when they seemed to hate the forces so much the money was the only logical reason I could find, so they could double the money normally collected on November 11

6. Very cynical.... and BTW it's an Armed Forces WEEK as far as the awareness compaign goes around where I live... The Council had a flag raising ceremony this morning which was attended by the British Legion boys and Standards, local Air Cadets, a motley crew of local dignatories in their finery and a guard (c/w CO) from the local regt... The flag raising will go on during this week with a march past in town this weekend.

OK, it may be a pain for the lads who can think of better things to do at a weekend than a parade, but you can't expect to have all the collection tins rattling constantly for Help 4 Heroes etc without expecting to have to give just a LITTLE bit back to us plebs who chuck the money in....

A fair number in attendance this morning to show a sort of appreciation or recognition at least. Not EVERYONE can get to Wooton Bassett to do the same....