Armed Forces Covenant....worth the paper it's written on?

Is the AFC worth bothering with anymore? When the Army's senior reservist (ACDS Res) can't be bothered to sign up to it, perhaps it is time to consider whether it is worth the effort. Interested to hear your thoughts. More and more companies are signing it.....others just ignore it.....does it deliver value to members of the Armed Forces Community? or should it just be binned?

I smell journo.

And yes it is. It is a statement of intent and actually quite helpful with my civilian employer for discussions on reserve stuff as the top man has signed it and clearly set his direction from it.

I smell journo.

And yes it is. It is a statement of intent and actually quite helpful with my civilian employer for discussions on reserve stuff as the top man has signed it and clearly set his direction from it.
Clearly it is working for you and your employer, which is good. Should it be compulsory for all defence contractors?

Clearly it is working for you and your employer, which is good. Should it be compulsory for all defence contractors?
P{lease explain how you expect any government to successfully make all Defence contractors to sign up to it and still have anyone in the Defence supply chain?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
As it's not legislated, it's goodwill only and thus can be dropped when it no longer suits. But I'm sure the OP knows this.

if you look what the minimum obligations of the covenant on private companies its hardly onerous & thus fairly pointless. Even the optional extra bits are mostly low/zero impact
"• no member of the Armed Forces Community should face disadvantage in the provision of public and commercial services compared to any other citizen
• in some circumstances special treatment may be appropriate especially for the injured or bereaved."!

Those on state services are a different matter though

Is the AFC worth bothering with anymore? When the Army's senior reservist (ACDS Res) can't be bothered to sign up to it, perhaps it is time to consider whether it is worth the effort. Interested to hear your thoughts. More and more companies are signing it.....others just ignore it.....does it deliver value to members of the Armed Forces Community? or should it just be binned?
My bold - is there a link/more of a story to that?

So what newspaper do you work for, Mr I am a lazy journalist?

I think Olaf has hit nail on the head. If the CEO has signed up to it it helps prevent your immediate superior just making up his own rules on the spot.

Are you talking about the Armed Forces Covenant or the Corporate Covenant? There is a difference.

I think Olaf has hit nail on the head. If the CEO has signed up to it it helps prevent your immediate superior just making up his own rules on the spot.
Which renders relevance for a company, but still not how it would be relevant for the Army Reserves to pledge to not disadvantage Reserves for serving in the Reserves

Which renders relevance for a company, but still not how it would be relevant for the Army Reserves to pledge to not disadvantage Reserves for serving in the Reserves
That's the bit that is and always will be boll*cks. It's an impossible dream, you get called up you die, bit of a disadvantage isn't it. Anything less, be thankful you didn't die, or not if you think your disability is so shit you'd be better off dead. The army uses people like it uses rounds of ammunition, reserve or regular, no bullsh*t paper will change that, it many ways it can't. If you didn't think that through before you joined, your problem or when you work it out leave.
When I joined up I worked a shift pattern that meant that I could be on exercise, or at the barracks all weekend and still get some rest before going to work and see my kids on other days. That worked fine. Then I got a promotion to office hours, Monday morning I was supposed to be using my brain when it was screaming for more sleep and my kids saw a lot less of me. They weren't the only reasons I packed in but they were two of the bigger factors. How could this have been avoided by the Army, it couldn't unless I'd not taken the promotion, which pretty well counts as being disadvantaged by serving in the reserves. My squadron leader did his best to change my mind, dangled the proposition of the sergeants' mess in front of me, but it didn't alter the core problems.

Nope, it’s a tick in the box exercise in order for companies to have in a nice certificate in a picture frame, in their reception area.
I’ve got that bored of being made to feel like I’ve just trodden shite through the carpet, when I ask at clearly advertised chain shops and restaurants if they take the Defence Discount Card, only to be told ‘No, we don’t accept that here’. The card lives in the kitchen cupboard now. It’s all a load of shit. I joined to serve my country which I did for nearly 30 years, not for veterans perks, but it would be nice. The yanks have got it spot on

Latest Threads