Armed Forces Compensation Scheme

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by ballbag1010, Jul 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :? Please help. I have recently ruptured two ligaments in my knee while playing rugby for my unit. I have been told that I can claim for this through the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme. Is this true and has anyone ever claim using it before? If yes are they helpful or a bit obstructive like civi companies can be?
  2. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Have just had my claim go through the other month. I ruptured my left knee completely. ACL/PCL/IT Band and Patteller tendon. This was done whilst working as a ski instructor for the Army. Paperwork took about 2 hours to fill out whilst doing rehab at headley court. About 2 months later after they had spoke to the MO, Surgeon and Headley Court Dr. Money was then paid directly to my pay account. Good drills quick service no hassle.
  3. You can claim from the compensation scheme for injuries sustained through sport? surely not?
  4. As far as I'm aware you can only claim if you can prove that the army was neglegent in some way,, surely rugby can't count the army would be broke in about a week.............
  5. If you injure yourself whilst playing sport for the army (ie representing your unit), then as far as I can tell, you are eligible to claim for compensation.
  6. Why on earth not, if it's a service-organised activity??

The AFCS is independent of fault.

Anyway here's the official answer:

7. But what is the money for and how is it warranted? Sport is not compulsory and surely everyone accepts the risks and danger involved, thats what makes it so exciting.
  8. hi IS Ski Geek,
    how much did you get for your knee?
    i've just had my left knee cruciate ligament surgery using hamstring graft...