Armed Forces Compensation Scheme changes

oldbaldy

LE
Just heard it on the radio, like yourself I'm waiting for the small print!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just been announced on radio news that MoD will increase the amount of compensation paid to injured/wounded serviceman. No real details yet.

It will never be enough to pay for the care, to compensate for the suffering the individual endures or indeed the supporting family and carers have to provide.

so long as people with hurt feelings (Minorities) get more than those who have been physically hurt defending the nation that provides for them then the system will always fail those who desperatly need it.

old_fat_and_hairy said:
Just been announced on radio news that MoD will increase the amount of compensation paid to injured/wounded serviceman. No real details yet.
So that might bring it in line with what it should have been 10 years ago! :evil:

Will they be back-dating it and, if so, how far? Does anyone know?

Edited : Oh, ok, it's being backdated to April 2005. Why not any further I wonder? (Is that the date of the payout or the date of the injury itself?)

"An MoD spokesman also said artificial limbs for injured soldiers, such as Mr Parkinson, would be provided until the person was discharged - and provided by the NHS thereafter." :(

mephisto said:
Will they be back-dating it and, if so, how far? Does anyone know?
April 2005.

There already was another thread on this subject this morning. Would someone please supply the link, or mods merge the threads.

BAFF have already been on R5Live and RScotland about this today, more this afternoon.

Defence Minister Derek Twigg was interviewed just now on R4 World at One.

Yes, sorry hackle, I re-edited to add that I'd found how far it went back. It isn't good enough (not for me anyhow!) And the added bit about prosthetics which I added in my previous post makes me angry too.

there was a piece on the John Humphreys slot this morning on radio 3 about a guy, shipped home dead. the "Daft and Barmy" told his Mum he was "Intact" and said she could have an open coffin, Lo and behold he wasn,t all there, bits of the guy where other dead guys sewn on. Funeral Director told grieving Mum it was disgracefull, but the Army said no sweat, shit happens, or words to that effect. That poor Mum still doesnt know how much of her son is in the grave, and neither it would seem does the Min of Def, still, whats new there.

Just proves what I,ve always maintained, that the faceless, murderous, suited, free loading ferk pigs who administer the Min of Def should be very terminally DECIMATED, after first making sure their solid gold pensions are secured for their "grieving" families.

Thank you and Good Night, You,ve been a Wonderfull audience.

oldbaldy

LE
Good leader in today's Telegraph:

Few trends have undermined society more in recent years than the establishment of what has come to be termed "the compensation culture".

Sometimes, this culture has enabled undeserving cases, and their lawyers, to become rich on the back of the taxpayer, with the payment of huge sums for relatively trivial injuries, whether physical or psychological.

We highlighted the case a month ago of a civilian typist for the RAF who received £484,000 for a repetitive strain injury to her thumb. That disgrace becomes even more apparent when measured against the limit, confirmed yesterday by Des Browne, the Defence Secretary, of £285,000 for members of the military with substantially more horrific injuries. The thinking behind this scale of compensation is simply unfathomable.

There was a time when injuries, however severe, sustained by members of the Armed Forces were considered to be part of the warp and weft of Service life. They were an occupational hazard of going to fight for one's country.

After the First World War, the Star and Garter homes and other provisions through the Royal British Legion were developed to help the most severely disabled. Other charities helped where they could, and still do. No one could possibly diminish the contribution of these magnificent organisations: but the climate has changed.

It is hard to see why those called on to do the dirtiest jobs of all on behalf of their political masters should be compensated, in the very worst cases of disability, at not much more than half the rate of someone who has braved the far less treacherous terrain of the typing pool.

If the Government is to subscribe to, uphold and fund the compensation culture, then it has to include within it the most obviously deserving cases for the state's bounty. It will no longer wash to tell the Armed Forces that getting blown to pieces is merely part of the job. That takes no account of the realities of life for the disabled ex-Serviceman and his family. It also drives away potential recruits.

Much has been written about the broken covenant between the Government and the forces. This unjust tariff is a further element. It is all very well to use our Servicemen and women for political posturing, as Gordon Brown did last week when he went to Iraq, but these are real people with real family lives that are often wrecked by the wounds they sustain.

The Government uses our heroic Servicemen abominably while wasting a fortune elsewhere. Soon, the public will become entirely unforgiving.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2007/10/12/dl1201.xml

oldbaldy

LE
And a piece by Rick Jolly in the same paper:

The Armed Forces of this nation have a single primary purpose. Their mission is to defeat the Sovereign's enemies. All else is secondary to this main aim which involves considerable risk to life and limb.

The provisions of the Health and Safety Act cannot apply in combat situations of course, but there is an unwritten military covenant in place where, if the unlimited liability clause is invoked (death or very serious injury), this nation will either care for the dependents, or look after the casualty until the natural end of his or her life.

While yesterday's announcement by the Secretary of State of Defence was also a welcome improvement in compensation arrangements, it has been hobbled and restricted in its application.

What of those suffering with a 90 per cent disability rather than the 100 per cent figure that must pertain for a full £285,000 lump sum award?

The Crown Proceedings (Armed Forces) Act of 1987 retained Crown Immunity for events prior to 1987, so our patients from the South Atlantic campaign are still excluded from making any claim for their damaged prospects.

But why has the MoD's tariff system for post-1987 injuries not been re-examined in the light of huge compensation payments made to staff with much less serious, non-battle problems?

Forgive me, but over £400,000 for Repetitive Strain Injury in a typist cannot stand comparison with a smaller sum awarded to a soldier who has suffered the traumatic amputation of a limb.

We send our men and women to war to fight for us, to defend our British way of life, and secure the Rules of Law that bind us all. Legislative power cannot, and must not be applied selectively to wounded soldiers who Mr Browne described yesterday in these terms: 'we have a responsibility to continue to look after them properly when they get injured'.

Absolutely, sir. On behalf of all those who presently treat, or who have ever cared for British casualties on some distant battlefield, I charge you with fulfilling your duty, so clearly-expressed above.

Sweep away all the double standards on this vital issue, and let the law - not the Treasury - decide.

The modern battlefield is an extremely unpleasant place. Improved firepower, 'smart' munitions and enhanced explosive materials have been matched to a lesser extent by better casualty extraction, resuscitation and treatment systems.

Having saved lives, medics pass their patients back along an evacuation chain that they assume will be as devoted to their charges as they are. Sadly, this has not necessarily proved to be true.

Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly OBE commanded the Falklands Field Hospital in 1982, and was also decorated by the Argentines for the treatment of their wounded.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/10/11/ncomp411.xml