Armed Forces / Civilian Pay : Comparator

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Navy1, Sep 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I seem to remember a while ago the MoD provided an on-line armed forces V civilian pay comparator. I can't find it now - does any one know if it it still exists? Thanks
  2. I think you may mean the Armed Forces Benefits Calculator, which allows the MOD to over-value the benefit of having 'free gym membership' and 'free medical care'...

Armed Forces Benefits & Pension Calculator
  3. Thats its - thanks. Cynic!
  4. See also the attached...

Attached Files:

5. When comparing civvy and military pay the first question you should ask is - How much would a civvy want paying to walk down a road that is probably mined whilst at the same time likely to be shot at in merciless heat and wearing/carrying lots of heavy stuff (forgive the technical terminology)?

Not willing to do it for all the tea in China! Thought so.
  6. X59

X59 LE

Plenty of civvies waiting to join up for that on current T&C's.
  7. I doubt GD will find it hard to recruit for "In theater work"
  8. Only because the Army's wages are better than the dole. Unless things have changed since I joined up, the recruitment literature is fairly light on the whole 'carrying heavy shit in desert temperatures while dusky people try to blow your cock off' too and fairly heavy on windsurfing at your new three year posting in Gibraltar, the free Apache you'll be given for the morning commute and the Chinook you'll need to transport the supermodel population of Stickys you'll wake up with every morning.

There's some things that are cheaper for the Army than civvy street but it's not like the Army does that for your benefit. We get free gym, medical and dental because the Army needs us to be fit, we probably won't get the cheap housing for all that much longer and most of the extra cash you get is either for going to the kind of places that civvies expect £50k/yr plus for working in or for spending weeks living in a hole on Salisbury Plain which civvies would expect fairly heavy overtime to do.
  9. X59

X59 LE

Always been that way.

Although I'm sure the realities of HERRICK are not lost on even the dimmest of potential recruits.

I'd bet more youngsters join up for combat in Afghan, than they did / will do for the Salisbury Plain gig.
  10. Last line very true.

But the recruiters are still very reticent about risk of lifechanging injury, it's still all about the risk of having to kill.