Armed Forces asbestos exposure

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tropper66, Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. just got sent this

Asbestos was widely used throughout the armed forces, particularly in construction and shipbuilding due to its excellent heat resistance properties and non-flammable nature.

Many MoD personnel have therefore come into direct contact with asbestos over the last 50 years.
    Ministry of Defence Liability

If you believe that your exposure to asbestos occurred due to the negligence of the MoD, it may be possible to bring a claim for compensation, providing you were not a member of the armed forces. Please contact us for further information.
    Armed Forces Claims

Armed forces personnel who were exposed to asbestos and later went on to develop an asbestos-related disease may still be liable to bring a claim for compensation.

If your exposure occurred after 1987 (when the Crown Proceedings Act removed ‘Crown Immunity’ which historically presented claims against the Crown) then you should be entitled to pursue a claim in the same way as a civilian.

Exposure prior to 1987 will mean that in most cases, you will not be able to claim compensation for an asbestos-related disease.

We can however assist you in War Pension applications and claims under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

If you would like further information on MoD claims, or war pensions, please contact us on 0800 043 6635.
  2. Did you get that because you invented asbestos?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. No because asbestos is a mineral, you can't invent a natural substance
  4. Don't remind me.
  5. Some ex-servicemen just dont know when to stop milking the cow.

I m an Alcoholic, I smoke cos of me nerves, I m deaf in one ear cos of the "boom, boom, boom of the 155mm, my back hurts a little bit, maybe from being crouched in a 432 or from the PT, I m scared of men with hats on and sticks,.................

do I get the 150K?

"No win, No fee", I ****ing shit em
  6. Well when I joined up as a Craftsman VM late 80s, early 90s we were always working on asbestos Brake linings in the LAD and the garages were well known to have asbestos in them. It wasn't till around 1993 till I saw my first set of PPE and know many of the lads in the same boat in their units.

Thanks for the link, very useful.
  7. So you knew they contained asbestos and yet continued to handle them, and are now interested in compo?

Did you star in an advert where you were "actually given the wrong type of ladder"?
  8. No as many other people it was only later I found out about the asbestos, as a young 18/19 year old I just did as I was told and got on with my work. Unfortunately Health and Safety wasnt a great big thing back in the late 80s and early 90s and the older and wiser you get you find out things you should probably have been warned about. Im not going to get into an arguement with you as being ARRSE Im sure you will have some way of being the internet hardman who has never walked or worked in a hanger/garage with asbestos as you have always checked the building structure of everywhere you have been. Im also sure if you have worked on any equipment you have always carried everything required and had full PPE with you....unfortunately it wasnt in the units I was in late 80s/90s and I never saw Risk assessments, data protection sheets etc till around 1993...I wish you had been around to mentor me then...thanks very much for your wonderful advice Im sure you are around to help many on ARRSE and an asset to what ever unit you have been in.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. How many troop shelters must have had asbestos roofs?
  10. Unfortunately some of us real soldiers had to work in dust filled recently blown to f@cking shit buildings, to try and save lives,the thought of carrying out a f@cking H&S Assessment never came up
  11. I was still working in a hangar with asbestos in the roof and walls until 18 months ago! The way it was falling down, there's no way we weren't breathing at least some of it in.
  12. Calm down dear.
  13. Not so funny or facecious when (as a friend of mine - ex RN) has a shadow on his lung, yes he did get a pension from the MoD.
  14. Yes. Mesothelioma must be a lovely way to go.
    Especially when you were the little man just doing your job.
  15. Would it be a nicer way to go if you were a big unemployed man?