Armed Forces Act 2011 now published

Armed Forces Act 2011

“An Act to continue the Armed Forces Act 2006; to amend that Act and other enactments relating to the armed forces and the Ministry of Defence Police; to amend the Visiting Forces Act 1952; to enable judge advocates to sit in civilian courts; to repeal the Naval Medical Compassionate Fund Act 1915; to make provision about the call out of reserve forces; and for connected purposes.[3rd November 2011]”

Bit of a non-event. The Covenant Report seemingly imposes no obligation upon the SoS other than to make a token speech once per annum, in order that his complacent back bench MPs might wave through his efforts as perfectly satisfactory, in spite of the real state of affairs.

Assuming I have understood it correctly, that is.

So, is this Act what common people would describe as an amendment (to AFA2006)? Or is it worth reading past the first couple of pages?

Bit of a non-event. The Covenant Report seemingly imposes no obligation upon the SoS other than to make a token speech once per annum, in order that his complacent back bench MPs might wave through his efforts as perfectly satisfactory, in spite of the real state of affairs.

Assuming I have understood it correctly, that is.
The Conservative-led coalition government have adhered strictly to their undertaking to enshrine the covenant in legislation!

They have done exactly that - they have put the covenant into the Armed Forces Act 2011.

and you all though that 'enshrining the covenant in legislation' meant making its provisions legally enforceable - poor naive trusting fools that you are!

and you all though that 'enshrining the covenant in legislation' meant making its provisions legally enforceable - poor naive trusting fools that you are!
Well I never thought that.