Armalite AR 10

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by stoatman, Jun 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unfortunately, this utterly revolutionary weapon came onto the scene a little too late, and was far too revolutionary. The biggest potential market would have been the US, if they had not biased their 7.62 mm rifle trials such that it was a foregone conclusion that some form of uprated Garand would be the winner. Within Europe, it was produced by the Dutch at Artillerie Inrichtigen in two forms, one for the Sudanese and one for the Portuguese. This is my Portuguese contract model, serial number A0004 (note the nonstandard magazine Housing, this one appears to be a prototype):

[​IMG]

The Portuguese are an interesting case in point -- they adopted the three major 7.62 mm rifle designs on offer commercially, i.e. FAL, H&K G3 and AR 10. Ultimately, they ended up with the G3 which I believe is largely due to the fact that it is the cheapest to produce even though, in my humble opinion, it is the worst of the three rifles and is positively agricultural. FN often preferred to sell complete rifles rather than allow countries to set up their own factories, the case in point being the Germans who adopted the FAL as the G1 until the licensing arrangements came to a head and FN would not allow the Germans to produce the G1 rifle themselves, hence their adoption of the G3.

Here are some Portuguese troops somewhere in Africa with the AR 10:

[​IMG]

Action wise, this rifle pioneered both the multi-lugged bolt head locking into a barrel extension secured in an alloy receiver, and the Stoner-type gas system inside the bolt which would be carried over into the M-16 (which is, in essence, little more than a scaled down AR 10):

[​IMG]

The M-16 bolt assembly is absolutely dwarfed by that of the AR 10. Another interesting feature is that, under combat conditions, ammunition was to be supplied preloaded into magazines which could then be thrown away. The magazines are therefore correspondingly light, however they are incredibly reliable and seem to go on forever (touch wood).

As a comparison, here is the AR 10 alongside the venerable old SLR (click image for bigger version):

[​IMG]

Weight wise, the AR 10 is a little lighter and the recoil is significantly more manageable (my wife is happy shooting it whereas she gets beaten up by the SLR).

As for accuracy, this puppy in my hands has managed 1MOA off the iron sights at 50 m (sling supported), and I'm dying to try it at 100 metres with some seriously good ammo where it will hopefully be able to do a little better in terms of angle:

[​IMG]

The rifle is 100% reliable (after locktiting the gas regulator in place... ahem!), and gets an occasional outing in competition:

[​IMG]

There were some extremely green eyed people at that particular competition! :D

2. Stoatie, is the AR10 the one that has a bayonet which had multiple tools afixed to it, if you like a "Leatherman" bayonet?

3. I don't think so. I don't have a bayonet, because they go for about E300 each 8O I do have a BFA and the magazine loader though...

4. No wonder it works flawlessly, you constantly lubricate it with various bodily fluids :wink:

5. 'Stoatman', get the feeling that you prefer it to the SLR, can you do a comparison between the two for us? Also, does it have a full-auto facility?

6. It did have full auto facility, until it was civilianised :(

The recoil is a lot more straight in line than the SLR, and a slightly lighter. It is significantly more accurate than the SLR, although the foresight is very wide. I feel that the SLR points a little more naturally than the AR 10. Reliability wise, my AR 10 is certainly more reliable than my SLR, but that is obviously not a representative sample!

Cleaning wise, the AR 10 takes longer to clean because although there are no separate gas parts, the gas is introduced between the bolt carrier and the bolt. This can get extremely scabby and you can get quite a lot of baked on crud.

The magazines appear to be much more reliable, and are lighter.

7. Thanks for the info. OK, ultimate question - if you had to fight a war with one or the other, which one would you choose?
    Also, is the AR 10 still made?

8. This is one I have pondered... if I really had to choose, I would probably take the armalite. Although it's a close-run thing. That is assuming that I would be using the iron sights. Mounting an optical sight is significantly easier on the SLR though. Aarrgh! Difficult one, actually! And then again only if we're talking about the originals. One of the new ones would probably be even better.

The AR 10 is back in production again:

Copy of the Sudanese contract version
    [​IMG]

M16A2 style:
    [​IMG]

Flat-top
    [​IMG]

Designated marksman's rifle, designed to compete with the Stoner SR 25 (which was in itself little more than an uprated original AR 10)
    [​IMG]

... amongst others

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I believe the IRA used them on occasion as well.Seem to remember a pic of some Prove scum at a VCP armed with one back in the 70's.

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I haven't shot that many AR-10's, please tell us what avantages the older pattern handguards/stocks have over the newer ones.

11. ^^^

Further to cuts's question, just because it is Brown does not mean it is Bakelite.