Arma2: British Armed Forces

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by amazing__lobster, Jul 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if anybody has the new Arma2 expansion - Operation Arrowhead. They've just announced an expansion for that - a British Army add-on. Sounds like it could be pretty good.

British Armed Forces To Be Deployed In Takistan - Arma 2 Official Website

Arma 2: British Armed Forces - Arma 2 Official Website

"Arma 2: British Armed Forces key features:

New vehicles and weapons
    Modern British troops in multi-terrain, desert and woodland camouflage
    Personal weapons: L85A2 and L86A2 rifles, L110A1 machine gun, LRR and AW50 sniper rifles, N-LAW AT launcher
    New vehicles: Jackal 2 MWMIK all-terrain vehicle, modernized FV510 Warrior
    New helicopters: AH11 Wildcat (multi-role), HC3 Merlin (transport)
    British versions: off-road car, Chinook HC2 transport helicopter, Apache AH1 gunship
    Desert and woodland paint schemes of the ground vehicles
    New single player campaign
    Player will command a mobile observation team of British troops into battle with Takistani insurgents. Short campaign will focus on depicting asymmetrical warfare with a guerilla force and counterinsurgency operations.
    Multiplayer modes
    Cooperative scenarios featuring the British units, vehicles and equipment.
    Engine Improvements
    Extension of the Engineer's role
    Ability for players to effectively operate and command artillery and mortar units "
  2. I have the British Army mod for vanilla Arma 2. TBH, I haven't dived in deep yet but the various screenies look good.
    Only problem is Arma 2 chugs along compared to Arma which whizzes like a whizzy thing on a whizzy shovel.

3. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Tam, you mean "Project: Reality"? There are a couple of lads on their Dev team who are serving British Army (and at least one who comes on ARRSE now and then), and they've got some good dialogue going on with the people who make ArmA2. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some crossover between the "official" British models and the PR mod work. I was with a few of them the other week, getting some vehicle and weapon sounds recorded so they could go into the game and, by extension, VBS2.
  4. Yup, seems like the puppy. Arma and its cohorts seem to simulate the experience of actually being an infantry soldier better than any other game, even though one occasionally gets to drive tanks, gunships and planes.

I would swap a body part to fly a Hind F once in a while in real life.

5. Arma 2 is just TOO MUCH hard work to be play and still riddled with bugs and the like, still haven't sorted that bug where the retarded chopper pilot will land his blackhawk into the trees, countless really, if you have the patience for crash after crash go for it...

Still looks gorgeous however, could have been a real gaming treat here but they messed it up
  6. BrunoNoMedals

JCOVE Lite ;)
  7. Whats the opinions of the people who have it?
  8. I think Arma 2 and this Ad-On are great :D Would like to get some games on. There are a few bugs but I am willing to make the sacrifice. Who still plays Operation Flashpoint, I am a total op flashpoint nut :D
  9. It's pretty good mate, as a few people have said there are still a few bugs but the OA and BAF gear run a lot better for me than the standard Arma 2 did, I also use the ACE mod and other sound/misc addons all of which improve the game for me , you can find everything you want in here BI MILITARY GAMES FORUMS - Bohemia Interactive Forums and here - - International fansite covering: Armed Assault - Arma: Combat Operations - ArmA 2 - ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead .

Trial and error is the best way to find out which addons you like and improve the game for you.

I play nearly every night when I'm not working but if a few people want to organise running through a few missions I'd be up for it..

Here are a few quick "screenies" I took recently just to give you an idea of how it's looking, I had to reduce the size but if you want to see a full size copy just ask (1920 x 1200)

10. BrunoNoMedals

Bit of a cross-post from the "gaming bargains" thread, but if someone could list the British kit (weapons/vehicles) that are in this new add-on I'd appreciate it! Is it only limited to those pieces mentioned in the OP, or is there more stuff?
  11. BrunoNoMedals

So it's a pretty hefty list, then?
  12. BrunoNoMedals

Scratch that... it's not as impressive as I'd expected!
  13. Lol, not really an extensive list of new gear mate but since I use mine with the standard US stuff and the ACE mod then there are so many choices of kit to play with you could spend all your time in the ammo crates deciding what to use if you wanted to, in all honesty I tend to stick with just a few bits of kit that I use regularly and the rest of it is just eye candy.
  14. BrunoNoMedals

When they've got 95% of all pre-2008 UK weaponry and vehicles modelled and in their library already, I was expecting a bit more than a Jackal and a re-skinned AH-64! They'll probably want me to pay them to make all the other stuff as well.