Arm UK Police? Rioter shot at officers.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
They are armed justt not all of them
Can't wait ti'll they get hold of him / them
4 Months for knicking a bottle of water what price firing at the police in the middle of a riot.

I just saw, on BBC news, footage of a rioter shooting a pistol at Police.
Is it not about time that the UKs Police are armed?
Do you mind if I opt out?

The thought of the subsequent trial by media goes through me like nails down a blackboard. However if my colleague could take on the responsibility then I'd appreciate that as we do need more armed officers.

Do you mind if I opt out?

The thought of the subsequent trial by media goes through me like nails down a blackboard. However if my colleague could take on the responsibility then I'd appreciate that as we do need more armed officers.
That's just it isn't it, Its all very well speaking about how the whole of the British Police should be armed but the amount of red tape leveled against them for being qualified to use one will make most officers avoid the chance.
Plus the constant trial and verdict on the Police by the media combined with the liability to face legal action would mean most officers would never dare to unholster their weapon anyway.

That's just it isn't it, Its all very well speaking about how the whole of the British Police should be armed but the amount of red tape leveled against them for being qualified to use one will make most officers avoid the chance.
Plus the constant trial and verdict on the Police by the media combined with the liability to face legal action would mean most officers would never dare to unholster their weapon anyway.
Plus the misuse, losses, own goals etc the clowns would add to the headlines.

The guns were probably air powered, though granted potentially deadly. Police should be armed, though the danger is always there that the criminals could steal guns from the police.

Any Police who were armed would have to accept the fact that they may have to kill someone with it. I am certain that there will be those amongst the police who could never countenance doing such a thing through their own conscience above all else.

Any Police who were armed would have to accept the fact that they may have to kill someone with it. I am certain that there will be those amongst the police who could never countenance doing such a thing through their own conscience above all else.
True but accepting that you may have kill someone is one thing. Accepting that after you have done what you have trained for and then thrown to the media, the lawyers and the courts to pass judgement cannot reasonably be expected of anyone.

So why are you hiding behind a newly created account?

I can always back my posts up with facts whereas you can only attempt to insult and intimidate me. It does not work by the way.

You're not Old Bill are you? Your tactics suggest you are.

So why are you hiding behind a newly created account?

I can always back my posts up with facts whereas you can only attempt to insult and intimidate me. It does not work by the way.

You're not Old Bill are you? Your tactics suggest you are.
It's not a new account, and if by "old bill" you actually mean Police Officer, yes I am. Will you now tell us all what you do, why you consider yourself to be such an expert on all things "old bill" and why you dislike us so much?

Plus the misuse, losses, own goals etc the clowns would add to the headlines.
I'm curious as to where this perception comes from. We have no such issues here. The PSU guys here wear their SLP's and the serial commanders usually carry a C8 if I recall.

I also don't recall seeing any posts by you (but I won't lie, I didn't read every one) during the disorder, when the general consensus appeared to be supporting plod, but now, here you are like the plod thread pantomime villain with the usual dose of cynicism and teeth gnashing.

Apologies for being a bit bitey (is that a word) not much gonk after a long night shift of not brassing up southern Alberta despite being armed and still dealing with day to day policing issues.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Most police forces around the world manage to carry fire arms. Those in the civilised world manage to do so without causing mayhem.

However the government does need to change the atmosphere. The assumption should be that if the police open fire they were justified in doing so unless there is strong evidence to the contrary.

In general I would like to see a situation where the integrity of the police is beyond question.

On the reverse police officers need to remember that they are public servants. Members of the public should be treated with respect. I'm a middle class, middle aged holder of the Queen's commission. I've been irritated by the rudeness of police officers. If they are happy to be ride to me I can only imagine how they treat people they perceive to be scrotes. I'm not unsympathetic to them spending all day dealing with vermin but that's what they are paid for.

I'm curious as to where this perception comes from. We have no such issues here. The PSU guys here wear their SLP's and the serial commanders usually carry a C8 if I recall.

I also don't recall seeing any posts by you (but I won't lie, I didn't read every one) during the disorder, when the general consensus appeared to be supporting plod, but now, here you are like the plod thread pantomime villain with the usual dose of cynicism and teeth gnashing.

Apologies for being a bit bitey (is that a word) not much gonk after a long night shift of not brassing up southern Alberta despite being armed and still dealing with day to day policing issues.
It seems to be the accepted norm across the UK in the eyes of Politicians, Local Councils, the Media and often the general public that The Police are all incompetent flatfoots who cannot be trusted and have to be continually watched and instantly stamped down if ever it seems like they are putting a foot wrong.

Most police forces around the world manage to carry fire arms. Those in the civilised world manage to do so without causing mayhem.

However the government does need to change the atmosphere. The assumption should be that if the police open fire they were justified in doing so unless there is strong evidence to the contrary.

In general I would like to see a situation where the integrity of the police is beyond question.

On the reverse police officers need to remember that they are public servants. Members of the public should be treated with respect. I'm a middle class, middle aged holder of the Queen's commission. I've been irritated by the rudeness of police officers. If they are happy to be ride to me I can only imagine how they treat people they perceive to be scrotes. I'm not unsympathetic to them spending all day dealing with vermin but that's what they are paid for.
I have to agree with your last comment there. I've always tried to be as polite as the situation allows during my carreer, I wont lie to you, I have had on numerous occasions to be firm with people and sometimes even rude but I always endeavour to start polite until i'm proved wrong. A lesson that many of my colleagues, old and new, could do with being reminded of from time to time.

I wonder how much of it is down to the "them and us" mentality that is growing within the UK police due to the constant hectoring by the press, government, and other such organisations. I'm not saying that they shouldn't be held to account if they fook up. But some of the headlines that have the daily Wail readership in such a knot are mostly bollocks.

Not convinced.
I have a brother who works for customs in Australia, he's routinely armed (as in every day) and reckons he has never once drawn his weapon in anger. His view is that its just another tool of the job.