Arlington memorial guard documentary

Currently waching this:

3rd Infantry regiment, "The old guard", who do the ceremonial at Arlington cemetery.

It's quite interesting. Was wondering quite how that role compares with our own regiments that also conduct ceremionial duties whilst not on exercise/deployed.
Anybody else seen this, actually seen chamging of the guard at Arlington memorial? Any of our tame yanks able to comment?

Edit: It's some serious "proper remembering" also.

Last edited:
I have been to Arlington on more than one occasion and to this day it still leaves me humbled. The ceremony is interesting to see in person, but I find the actual cemetery more thought provoking and interesting. On my bookcase I still have a coin that was given to me by a member of the Old Guard i got talking to, they take their business beyond serious levels. The film Gardens of Stone with Jimmy Caan and James Earl Johns gives an interesting perspective of what it was like there during the Vietnam era.

Currently waching this:

3rd Infantry regiment, "The old guard", who do the ceremonial at Arlington cemetery.

It's quite interesting. Was wondering quite how that role compares with our own regiments that also conduct ceremionial duties whilst not on exercise/deployed.
Anybody else seen this, actually seen chamging of the guard at Arlington memorial? Any of our tame yanks able to comment?

I saw the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier in 1990 on an exchange. The ceremony is both impressive and humbling imo, but not really my cup of tea for such a somber occasion. Horses for courses though. The cemetery itself is very impressive.

We stayed in their barracks before a day in Washington and a night out. I read ‘Gardens of Stone’ but I don’t recall seeing the film.

Had a friend who was assigned to the 3rd for 3 years. He wasnt a tomb guard, but assigned to the B company as a flag bearer(color guard). He told of very long days and nights getting everything ready, and that some of those attitudes followed him into civvie life

They all seem really dedicated to the role, a vocation. Can't help feeling the sunglasses thing detracts from it all though.

Currently waching this:

Been watching this series of interviews. Called Vietnam voices,by a journalist on the Billings Gazette Montana.Interviewing veterans. Some harrowing. some mundane, some funny.You never see the journalist,but You can almost feel him cringe when some old guy is about to relate some potential war crime they witnessed. This one May be of interest,as He served at Arlington in the old guard.

Been watching this series of interviews. Called Vietnam voices,by a journalist on the Billings Gazette Montana.Interviewing veterans. Some harrowing. some mundane, some funny.You never see the journalist,but You can almost feel him cringe when some old guy is about to relate some potential war crime they witnessed. This one May be of interest,as He served at Arlington in the old guard.
Cheers for that, will watch tomorrow. On iPad in bed now.

Currently waching this:

I've seen the changing of the guard ceremony at Arlington. Very moving indeed. That these blokes/blokesses do the job 24/7, wind/rain/snow, make it all the more impressive.

I'd happily do a couple hours' stag on that, but frankly, I'm not good enough.

Not entirely connected, but I can't watch this without welling up either.

I've seen the changing of the guard ceremony at Arlington. Very moving indeed. That these blokes/blokesses do the job 24/7, wind/rain/snow, make it all the more impressive.

I'd happily do a couple hours' stag on that, but frankly, I'm not good enough.
12069865853_74254435e1_b-332x511.jpg

In addition to the tomb guards, the mounted unit to the 3rd Infantry Regiment are impressive. They have the horse drawn caisson that bears the remains to the grave. I believe the mounted unit is always used for the funerals of general and flag officers. Recipients of the Medal of Honor also are brought to the grave by the mounted unit. I am not sure of the details as to who is entitled to the mounted unit.
Back in 1970 the father of a friend was killed in Vietnam and I went down to DC for the funeral. As he was a two star he also had a saddled horse with reversed boots in the stirrups in the procession. A very impressive ceremony. A well deserved honor.

In addition to the tomb guards, the mounted unit to the 3rd Infantry Regiment are impressive. They have the horse drawn caisson that bears the remains to the grave. I believe the mounted unit is always used for the funerals of general and flag officers. Recipients of the Medal of Honor also are brought to the grave by the mounted unit. I am not sure of the details as to who is entitled to the mounted unit.
Back in 1970 the father of a friend was killed in Vietnam and I went down to DC for the funeral. As he was a two star he also had a saddled horse with reversed boots in the stirrups in the procession. A very impressive ceremony. A well deserved honor.
Looks like I rate the riderless horse as well.
Types of Military Funeral | Arlington Cemetery