Arktis chest rig

#3
I used one when operating from vehicles. It's not bad, I never had any problems with it, but wearing one on top of CBA made bending in the middle a bit tricky when lying down and getting up again!

When fully packed it also made me look like been eating all the pies...

:oops:

Rodney2q
 
#4
I've got an issue chest rig which is quite good, but being able to drop it down a bit more would be more comfortable when dismounted and the central opening looks a bit more comfortable if I have to go prone.

Any views on durability?

I also get the impression from the photo that the pouches a bit too small to be useful?
 
#5
Can't comment on that particular one, but had the same Arktis rig for about 6 yrs now. While what I do doesn't exactly constitute good hard use, a friend of mine took it on Herrick 7. Worst thing that happened was he sprayed it desert, so now I look like a right coont when I wear it.

Very durable, excellent for use in vehicles.........no problems from me and my mate. Might not be everyone's up of tea, but we liked it very much.
 
#7
Why not PLCE Webbing?
 
#9
Q Why not indeed.

A. Because I'm not issued it, and getting in and out of minibuses means taking it off and stowing it somewhere in a minibus full of cadets.

The ACF want to issue me with FAD at over £200 quid a pop, but won't issue a basic set of PLCE....
 
#10
JJ123 said:
Because he's using it in a wagon.
Use the dashboard or the glove box then.

You buy webbing for wearing out and about. Not for driving trucks.
 
#11
The dashboard and glove box is full of ginsters, as is the AI driving the wagon, there is another 2 large AIs on the front passenger seat, each wearing PLCE with 14 utility pouches on their rig. The wagon is also full of warry cadets in webtex webbing full of Haribo. I suppose there's the roof rack..?
 
#12
I'm willing to bet that webbing is neither cheap or necessary for the role you intend to use it for. You hardly need it for de-bussing out of a snatch and fighting unless cadet instructors do vehicle contact drills out of mini buses.

Save your notes for the end ex p1ss up.
 
#13
Out of curiosity what exactly do you intend to insert into the chest rig's pouches :?

You may find that your arms are restricted, when controlling the wheel of your venga bus :roll:
 
#14
It doesnt need to carry much. Cleaning kit for rifles. spare ammo, boxed or magged, some pyro, multitool, torch, compass, werthers originals and any contraband and improvised weapons confiscated from cadets. Oh, and a bloody big first aid kit for the little darlings.

And for me, a brewkit, stove, metal mug and some water and scoff.

Its only £39.99 and I've got an £18.00 credit note from SOF anyway, so £22 and postage.

End ex piss up? What is this of which you speak? Cleaning kit and minibus is what we normally end up doing until darkeness falls!
 
#15
walt_of_the_walts said:
It doesnt need to carry much. Cleaning kit for rifles. spare ammo, boxed or magged, some pyro, multitool, torch, compass, werthers originals and any contraband and improvised weapons confiscated from cadets. Oh, and a bloody big first aid kit for the little darlings.

And for me, a brewkit, stove, metal mug and some water and scoff.

Its only £39.99 and I've got an £18.00 credit note from SOF anyway, so £22 and postage.

End ex piss up? What is this of which you speak? Cleaning kit and minibus is what we normally end up doing until darkeness falls!
Buy a daysack. You're wasting your hard earned notes!
 
#16
i used one on telic and it was decent although the clips holding the pouches closed and also the flexibiltiy in the pouches made fast mag changes difficult.
for what you need it for with the cadets id say it was perfect mate,
 
#17
WOTW..

Arktis 1601 Assault Vests, the old style ones, are now freely available in many places for around £40.

With the size it is, it's not a lot bigger than a chest rig, so it's not quite all the size and weight of a full PLCE assault vest - though it's still classed as one by Arktis.

I will strive to get you a link.

They are great for ACF. I don't use mine at all in my TA life but when doing ACF stuff it's perfect, the big zippy pouches are good for the amount of paperwork we have to carry, there's also some pen / compass / leatherman pouches etc, as well as the usual. none of it ends up behind your back (unless you're a twig) and thus it's good in vehicles. I spent summer camp using mine, webbing being problematic as you sling it behind the front seats in the back of the bus and the cadets pikey all your gucci kit in the space of 5 minutes because the AI next to you isn't supervising she's doing her makeup in the wing mirror whilst you're trying to reverse using it. (no stereotypes).

I'd say the main bonus of this is those zippy breast pouches, I carried a lot of safety paperwork on camp, and held in A4 NIREX wallets they were really quick to get out when needed, save trawling through daysack that somebody else has filled with all their sh*t and you wonder why it weighs so much.

linky for checking it out...

http://www.arktisltd.co.uk/Products/1601_BattleVest.htm

D
 
#19
therealbigdizzle said:
WOTW..
They are great for ACF. I don't use mine at all in my TA life but when doing ACF stuff it's perfect, the big zippy pouches are good for the amount of paperwork we have to carry, there's also some pen / compass / leatherman pouches etc, as well as the usual. none of it ends up behind your back (unless you're a twig) and thus it's good in vehicles. I spent summer camp using mine, webbing being problematic as you sling it behind the front seats in the back of the bus and the cadets pikey all your gucci kit in the space of 5 minutes because the AI next to you isn't supervising she's doing her makeup in the wing mirror whilst you're trying to reverse using it. (no stereotypes).

I'd say the main bonus of this is those zippy breast pouches, I carried a lot of safety paperwork on camp, and held in A4 NIREX wallets they were really quick to get out when needed, save trawling through daysack that somebody else has filled with all their sh*t and you wonder why it weighs so much.
Thanks RBD, You have articulated exactly the reason why I want a rig!

I'm not put off, despite finding this on the Lansdale web site:

Favourite with several Squadron's of the RAF Regiment during the early stages of OP Telic (Gulf War)
Do I get a free pair of Oakleys too?
 
#20
walt_of_the_walts said:
therealbigdizzle said:
WOTW..
They are great for ACF. I don't use mine at all in my TA life but when doing ACF stuff it's perfect, the big zippy pouches are good for the amount of paperwork we have to carry, there's also some pen / compass / leatherman pouches etc, as well as the usual. none of it ends up behind your back (unless you're a twig) and thus it's good in vehicles. I spent summer camp using mine, webbing being problematic as you sling it behind the front seats in the back of the bus and the cadets pikey all your gucci kit in the space of 5 minutes because the AI next to you isn't supervising she's doing her makeup in the wing mirror whilst you're trying to reverse using it. (no stereotypes).

I'd say the main bonus of this is those zippy breast pouches, I carried a lot of safety paperwork on camp, and held in A4 NIREX wallets they were really quick to get out when needed, save trawling through daysack that somebody else has filled with all their sh*t and you wonder why it weighs so much.
Thanks RBD, You have articulated exactly the reason why I want a rig!

I'm not put off, despite finding this on the Lansdale web site:

Favourite with several Squadron's of the RAF Regiment during the early stages of OP Telic (Gulf War)
Do I get a free pair of Oakleys too?
No problem - looking at the chest rig, I'm not sure the zipped pockets would take A4. The vest only just takes an A4 nirex, not sure the chest rig would do above A5.

As for the Oakleys... there's some 'bomb-int' fella running round every forum on the QM's advertising the fact that his shop now stocks Oakleys... so have a quick read and I'm sure you'll have no problem tracking them down!

At least you know it'll work in vehicles... the vests obviously did well whilst being trialled driving 10mph around an airfield in a WMIK. Not sure about the need to go prone though...
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads